polling is enabled in this forum.
oakley.mcmillan
Job Title: Client Relations
School: Westlab
State/Location: VIC

Do you use a diary?

Post by oakley.mcmillan »

Hello all,

We want to know if you find diaries useful in the lab or if you have other tools you prefer?

Would a lab specific diary be useful, and if so what should be in it?

Look forward to hearing you responses :D
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Do you use a diary?

Post by Labbie »

We use to use one, for the teachers to order for there classes. But I do believe they do it now through risk access?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I use one but I guess I'm a bit old fashioned and I like to be able to easily see the day/week/month. (I still use a paper calendar for personal use). I use an everyday diary which works fine.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I love my diary. We use Riskassess for ordering pracs, but for my personal organisation, I would be lost without my own diary. I have two roles (Science and WHS) so it is really easy to forget things.
I've found some organiser diaries that have a week on one page and on the opposite a page for making lists, reminders etc. These work best for me but are hard to come by. My fall back is a week to view.
Overall, the diary is great for noting meetings I have, things I remember I need to do, lists of things I need. I take it into the labs when restocking to write down reminders of things that need to be done etc etc. An electronic version just wouldn't work for me.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Nothing like a Page a Day Diary - a summary of all the pracs (from RiskAssess) in one place, we can scribble room/qty changes, it's easier to see when there are duplicate pracs at the same time, write notes like "take from E5 to B3", etc etc.

It's a bit tedious but we rule lines across each page so we have 5 distinct periods for each day. I would be lost without it, so much easier than referring back to RiskAssess the whole time. It gives an overview, at a glance, of your day.

I also use the Saturday/Sunday pages to write detailed notes for complicated/lots-of-equipment pracs. I thought of using a teacher's daily planner but there isn't enough space.

I even go the extra mile - every year I order a different coloured diary (outside cover) - so much easier to find than a boring black diary! :cheesy:
oakley.mcmillan

Prima wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 12:02 Nothing like a Page a Day Diary - a summary of all the pracs (from RiskAssess) in one place, we can scribble room/qty changes, it's easier to see when there are duplicate pracs at the same time, write notes like "take from E5 to B3", etc etc.

It's a bit tedious but we rule lines across each page so we have 5 distinct periods for each day. I would be lost without it, so much easier than referring back to RiskAssess the whole time. It gives an overview, at a glance, of your day.

I also use the Saturday/Sunday pages to write detailed notes for complicated/lots-of-equipment pracs. I thought of using a teacher's daily planner but there isn't enough space.

I even go the extra mile - every year I order a different coloured diary (outside cover) - so much easier to find than a boring black diary! :cheesy:
Thanks for your comment Prima,

We will have to get you to design the cover then, any ideas :D
oakley.mcmillan

Merilyn1 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 06:57 I love my diary. We use Riskassess for ordering pracs, but for my personal organisation, I would be lost without my own diary. I have two roles (Science and WHS) so it is really easy to forget things.
I've found some organiser diaries that have a week on one page and on the opposite a page for making lists, reminders etc. These work best for me but are hard to come by. My fall back is a week to view.
Overall, the diary is great for noting meetings I have, things I remember I need to do, lists of things I need. I take it into the labs when restocking to write down reminders of things that need to be done etc etc. An electronic version just wouldn't work for me.
Hey @Merilyn1,

Thanks for your ideas!, we will keep these in mind when designing the diary layout.