Help please, I feel like Homer Simpson !!!

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
robo
State/Location: WA

Help please, I feel like Homer Simpson !!!

Post by robo »

After making up some protactinium ie Uranyl nitrate,Amyl acetate and HCL,
I'm left with a mess that dissolved the plastic container overnight.
I have contained the residue in a glass bottle.Can anyone tell me how to safely dispose of this,about 30ml.As yet I have no green patches appearing on my skin but I don't want to take any chances :-|
Hope you can help.....Rob.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Help please, I feel like Homer Simpson !!!

Post by Labbie »

I would suggest you put that glass container in the waste collection, to be picked up at a later date. Just label it with the contents. Our bible in NSW does not have Uranyl Nitrate in it, so I can not help you.

HCL should be Neutralised first with Sodium Bicarbonate, then Dilute Down Sink to waste.

Amyl Acetace should be left in the fume cupboard to Evaporate.

Hope this helps
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I've just searched the web for uranyl nitrate and found a WA forum from 2005 discussing it. The bottom line was that it was banned in all schools in WA several years ago - being water soluble it poses a significant environmental hazard. I'd seal it up and put it aside until you have a chemical pick-up.
Carol
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The best way is to mix the residue with saw dust from Wood work. The saw dust will be inert with the residue you have, so mixing this until you have solid material will make it safer and easier to dispose of.
The Uranyl Nitrate can be disposed of in normal solid waste as it will decay quite quickly and this only lasts for a few hours. (With no health effects)..

Then it's straight to the solid waste where it won't pose a threat...

If there is remaining residue on the bench or floor, wear gloves and clean that up using detergent and rinsing this into a residue bottle labeled WASTE Corrosive, until all has been cleaned up...

This will get you out of trouble..

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 29 Oct 2007, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Addition of text
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **