Melbourne Cup

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Melbourne Cup

Post by Voice »

G'day to the rest of Australia,

Many, besides myself, are having today off because we did some Professional Development in our own time and, as such, have a student/school free day. Plus, tomorrow's holiday for the Melbourne Cup.
Isn't life wonderful. A four day weekend was just the ticket! I am sure the rest of you have those times when a break occurs just when you need it.
Have a great day all and good luck with betting tomorrow.
Maree =D> \:D/ :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Melbourne Cup

Post by Slartibartfast »

Do you get a public holiday for a horse race!!? Blimey! We don't even get to see it on TV.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

I did not know they got a Public Holiday, perhaps they miss out on some thing else??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I bet they don't! I tried to get them to declare a public holiday for the Billy Cart GP in Gosford but they weren't having it. Just as good an excuse without the glamorous hats!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Voice

Post by Voice »

Well it use to be that all got the Melbourne Cup holiday. That was before the Kennett years. If one had to work on Cup day you got penalty rates. This went for hospitals, essential services, hospitality and 24/7 industries. Now, only some get penalty rates and you will find that retail is open. I think most offices are closed, but not sure.
Thank goodness for the public service. Any reason for a public holiday. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.

I think that's Victoria's idosyncratic holiday.
Maree
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

My daughters father is in the ACT and they are having a PH tomorrow. They have called it Family and Community Day.So I think most people are taking today too!!
Voice

Post by Voice »

I have just turned the radio on at home and Talkback are suggesting that TODAY should also be a public holiday because 'most' people don't go to work anyway!
Many people do take the opportunity to go away for 4 days. Isn't that great. Talkback is suggesting that if classes are only have full, why bother opening the schools? I agree! Some schools do open :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
But not mine.
You may wonder why this is such an issue with me. NORMALLYI am cleaning out mice cages etc.. whilst everyone else is off. Not this year. As we were only having one term of mice, I made sure that it was LAST term.Hip Hip
Maree
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Will Bart's start fast? :cheesy:
Xe, SD, KOPR
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Well, it's not exactly a 'holiday' but I am going on a Yr11 biology trip to Dubbo Zoo tomorrow. Should be a good day. The girls have promised to provide a hat for me... but I think I'll play it safe and bring my own! Is anyone else going to the Zoo tomorrow?
Di
Job Title: Science Lab Assistant
School: Ryan Catholic College
Suburb: Townsville

Post by Di »

Rosalie

I think you might need a rain hat - We are expecting rain tomorrow and as far out as Dubbo - So bring that rain hat and umbrella and rejoice with the central west.

Have a great day :wink2:
Di
Lab Tech
All Saints College