PPE

for anything else that doesn't fit.
ri
State/Location: NSW

PPE

Post by ri »

Hi All,
a colleague came back from the Inservice at St Marys with the recommendation we need full length leather aprons and the thick long nitrile gloves for acid work.
Can anyone advise what they bought and where?
I would be very grateful,
Cheers,
~Robyn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: PPE

Post by Labbie »

Q-stores do sell the gloves. Leather apron I also think it is from Q-stores, hardware section.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ri

Post by ri »

Thank you, Sue -
I saw the apron but am not sure of the gloves in the Q Stores catalogue as they do not specify chemical handling, I guess I'll try the nitrile solvex gloves, 33cm, $42 for 12.
Have you seen any documentation regarding this PPE? It crept up on me....if we hadn't gone to the Inservice, we wouldn't have heard of it. Why leather aprons??
~R
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I got a flyer in the mail a few weeks back from the 'Australian Apron Makers' , they will make a special teachers apron for teachers if you order 25 or more :thumbup: , prices $15.40 each. I was thinking of getting some for next year.

Contact details are;

PH 03 9866 8294
austapronmakers@bigpond.com

They also say they have a web site which will be available soon, http://www.apronmakers.com

Cheers Sassi
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Robyn, Give Q-stores a ring, about the gloves, Steve Nugent, had the name of the gloves incorrect. He called them Nitrile?????????? gloves, but Q-stores stall had them their. Its a silly name for a glove, but for the life of me I can not remember the name. They are very long gloves indeed, to use only when handlerly conc acid. We do not have a leather apron, and I can not find in CSIS a reference to the leather apron. But then again, their is to be a update of CSIS in term 4, perhaps Steve Nugent a chemistry teacher, who took the lesson, has a idea of the new update.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Last year I bought the Ansell Neo Greens from QStores - $11.27/pk12 (Pg 253). They are the thickness of dishwashing gloves, and about as strong.

This year, after listening to Steve again, Ive researched further, and found some in the Seton catalogue which I think sound more like his description - Sol-Vex Nitrile Chemical Resistant Gloves, 0.28mm thick, lined or unlined. $5-6. There's a longer 'gauntlet' version, too. $14
Pg 167 in my catalogue. http://www.< >
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Browsed the internet and the gloves need to be either rubber or neoprene for handling acids. I think a rubber or neoprene apron of some description would be more appropriate than leather which would have a tendency to disintegrate with spills from concentrated acids. Sodium hydroxide in pellet form will also leave holes in thick leather. Speaking from personal experience, while weighing sodium hydroxide, had a pellet escape transfer from container to balance. Couldn't stop to hunt it down. Ate a hole through a thick leather handbag which I had stored out of the way on bottom shelf.

Lyn.
Last edited by Lyn on 06 Dec 2007, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi,
I purchased Nitrile disposable gloves (Woolworths), they are chemical & puncture resistant and most important they are Latex free (we can not have latex gloves). Hercules brand 24/box cost only $3.
Cheers Jazz
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

The aprons from Apron Makers are much better than the fabric variety.
They are are acid proof & very durable, in 3 or 4 years I haven't had to replace any.
They do look a bit dowdy (grey) but are a really good investment.
I just give mine a wipe over every now & then with a damp cloth. :thumbup:

Sure beats having to wash the cloth ones, untangling all those ties was a nightmare