A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Dishwashers

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Everyone!
I know there was a lot of discussion about dishwashers last year (I've just read through the posts), and I was wondering how test tubes go... Do they generally come out clean? One of the science teachers here has put a new kitchen in their house, complete with new dishwasher, and has kindly donated her old one to me! Well, to the prep room... I am in the process of having maintenance work out how it will fit. I was just wondering if I need to start researching racks for the dishwasher or if the domestic ones will be ok, at least for now. I assume the test tubes will just slip over the spikes which usually hold the plates etc. Does the water get up inside them? I realise there will be times when hand washing will be necessary, but I would like them to come out clean more often than not! I just washed up about 100 test tubes yesterday with still more to go... Also, I like the idea of washing the safety glasses in there...
Rosalie
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Re: Dishwashers

Post by nickyw »

Hi

The dish washer is great for washing test tubes. Of course there are those times when you still have to scrub them by hand but it will save you heaps of time with the general cleaning of glassware. I just pop them over the spikes, sometimes they pop off and I find them under the rack but they are still in tact. You wont know what you ever did without it. =D>
Alice
State/Location: WA

Post by Alice »

Hi Rosalie

I put 5-6 test tubes together, secured tightly by two rubber bands and then place on one spike. This way you can get more test tubes cleaned and they won't come off the spike.

Hope this helps.

Alice
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi!
I usually soak overnight in Napisan to start and then put the boiling tube size TT on the spikes. Do you have a cutlery basket? I find the smaller testubes work better in the basket as the pressure of the water lifts them off the spikes.
Good luck
Lorrae \:D/
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

What a great idea Nicole! =D> I would never have thought of that. I have heaps of spikes in my dishwasher - I chose it because it had so many - but it's never enough.

This will help me heaps. Thanks!! :D :D

J
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have been looking at different brands of dishwashers for my science labs and need to know which may be do the job well and which ones I should steer clear of. I assume that the ones with the extra little spray at the top are better than those without. The Electrolux dishlex has been mentioned and the Simpson Silencio. Which brands do the varying govt stores in other states carry for use in the schools. Basically who has what and how satisfactory are they?

Lyn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Simpson Silencio has done us well for over 5 years. It has never missed a bet. You will wonder how on earth you did with out one once you get it up and working.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

We have 2 of what Sue has (Simpsons) and they are great. Tried the idea with the 5 test tubes and rubber bands as the do tend to lift and take the rim out of the test tube if the are stacked individually on pegs. Worked a treat! :w00t:
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley

Post by smiley »

I actually bought a basket that's meant for a water bath, and I put my Test-tubes in that. Like the others I bundle mine with rubber bands and stack the basket with the bundles, so that they remain upright. The bundles are also useful for when you have to supply 8 groups with 6 t-t's each. Then I just set out 8 bundles. Less crashing around in a box of testtubes by students, and less rim damage.

Cheers, K 8-)
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hola,

I also have the pleasure to have 3(!No more hand washing for me, woohoo!) Simpsons silencios and they are very good. Although I always soak my test tubes in napisan for a day or two prior to putting them in the dishwasher, otherwise they often dont come out completely sparkling (and my teachers require them sparkling and shining).

Hope you have better weather than I do, its just raining and raining :-(

Sassi
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

Does anyone have the small benchtop "Bebe" Thor dishwasher from Science supply?

I have been given the go ahead to get one as I haven't room for a domestic size model, but was wondering how it performs.

Though ANYTHING would be better than doing the washing up from 7 labs!

Wendy ( with dishpan hands)
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks for all your ideas. I am looking forward to having mine installed!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

While shopping for a dishwasher for home yesterday. I did notice, NO more spikes, they are now rounded over, two spikes and the top rounded over. Like a loop. Hope you can understand what I mean. So please check yours has spikes, or the smaller test tubes will not fit on.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Alice wrote:Hi Rosalie

I put 5-6 test tubes together, secured tightly by two rubber bands and then place on one spike. This way you can get more test tubes cleaned and they won't come off the spike.

Hope this helps.

Alice
Sorry Alice
Seems I thanked the wrong person for your great idea. :? Karma coming to you.
J
kimm

Re: Dishpan hands - thor Dishwashers

Post by kimm »

Hi Wendy - get rid of those dishpan hands.
I have a thor benchtop model as well as full sized simpson. I really do like it - especially when i am doing a smaller cleanup - it is quick and does the job. Just make sure you keep the door rubbers clean as they can leak a little if dirty. It is amazing what you can fit into it when you are desperate to go home.
Kim
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey Wendy,

Yes I have the Thor Benchtop, but I think I got a better price from Westlab. Check it out. My school only has 550 students, and 3 labs, so it is enough for me. The basket, as mentioned before, is invaluable. The soaking in Napisan is also a great aid. I have to say the benchtop doesn't fit 100mL measuring cylinders, for example, so there is a bit of a disadvantage in the height dept. However, compared, as you say, to washing by hand it has been a huge improvement. The cycles are also fairly quick, so on a busy day I can have a couple of loads done in not a lot of time.

Sassi, surely it's a sin to complain about rain down South??

Cheers, K 8-)
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

K,

Ahhhhhhhhh yes, it is a sin indeed! But my complaining helped, today we have wonderful sunshine \:D/ although it wont last long, its forecast to poor down the rest of the week, including the weekend :cry2: It could be worse I guess, at least we dont get the bloody mozzies with all the rains as you do up in north queensland, i lived up in Townsville for 5 yrs, and i dont miss the mozzies at all!

Cheers, Sassi
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

thanks folks for all the ideas -this was well answered inmany ways wiht hints thrown in - i too am still in process of buying dishwasher but still unsure whre to go..thanks for the ideas.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi out there to all those with experience in the use of dishwashers. I have finally scored an Electrolux dishwasher. It sat in my prep room and looked at me for three weeks before they finally chased down a plumber to install it. I need some advice as to how glassware should be stacked in the baskets. Should I pack the glassware touching, or should there be space between each piece. If glassware is spaced apart will it shift from the force of the water being sprayed from underneath. Will the 100ml beakers bounce around if I put them in the top basket. I don't want to damage any of the glassware that I have in stock. Any advice will be really appreciated.
Lyn.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

So long as they don't move or vibrate when they touch they are usually fine. I use rubber bands around groups of test tubes (x5) and smaller beakers (x3) and haven't had a breakage yet but if they bounce around each other individually they shatter and crack all the time and lift out of the basket or off the pegs. This also stops small items flipping upside down while washing and not rinsing properly.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory