Safety Glasses

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Safety Glasses

Post by RosalieM »

Hello! I'm just ordering some safety glasses for the kids. I notice some in the catalogues have a safety standard number and some don't. Should I only go for the ones with the number? Can anyone recommend a good type? We have about 3 different types currently in the labs but I don't know what they are.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Safety Glasses

Post by Labbie »

Sticking to a safety number would be a better idea. Make sure the glasses have a side bit, it covers the side of the eye in case of splashing. Make sure ALL is plastic so they can be strezlised, some have a bit of metal here or there. Australian Safety standard is the way to go.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Sue, I got some from Serrata, for the incoming students. I also bought a protective zip pouch for them, as I was sick of losing them because of scratches and rough treatment. I attached a key tag with students name on the pouch.. its working really well so far. So ask for the pouches. cant remember the cat number of the glasses or pouches, but just ask for the ones that HCS ordered. They are made to European Safety standards.. and easily comly with Aus standards :)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks for those ideas. I don't need to get pouches because we just have them in a glasses shelf thing on the side of the cupboard. Something to keep in mind though if we go for individual glasses in the future.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Last time I purchased safety glasses I got them from scientric in Yamba NSW.(http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>) They seem to be good quality have a side piece so no splashes get into the eyes and fit even the smallest face so the students don't have to spend the time pushing them up their face all the time. They were reasonably priced I thought at around $3.75, all I had to do was use a whiteout pen and write science and WHS on the front so the students weren't that keen to pinch them.
Estelle