A general discussion and Q & A forum.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

DVD instead of VIDEOS

Post by kimmy »

We are changing over from videos to dvds and I am wondering if anyone out there in Lab land could give me a few good titles to do with the Human body or any other good science DVDs for me to purchase. As with the prices :shock: that are on the Science dvds I dont wish to purchase ones that are not that good - or dont really cover the areas properly.
Also if anyone in the Tamworth or Scone area have obtained good dvd's. Is there any chance of us borrowing them just to see what they are like. As like most other schools our budget is just about empty but we still need to update some items. I have looked at a few from VEA and they seem ok. Have purchased 6 from there already but none on the Human Body yet.

Thanks for any help from any of you.

KIMMY
Quirindi
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: DVD instead of VIDEOS

Post by RosalieM »

If you have videos that are not too dated, you can copy them to DVD. It might help you spread out the cost of the new DVDs instead of replacing them all at once.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Just to clarify (I didn't word my previous post very well), it doesn't matter how old the video is, you can still copy it to DVD. I was talking about the content being dated...
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi,

We have purchased both series of "Don't Die young" the program Catalyst showed last year and this year on the ABC. The teachers love them. Tape Services( google Tapes Services and do a search) had both of these I think they were about $95 I may be wrong. Also recently purchased through the ABC "The Human Body" a few years old now but interesting.

Good Luck

lorrae
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Have a chat with your library, if they have the licence from ENHANCE Screen rights. Our library does, and we purchased 50 dvd disc & 50 DVD Covers. So each item we order costs the science dept about $2.50 each time. So we are putting our Videos all over to DVD, I may finish this time next year.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

OUr Library receives Enhance TV - it is very helpful - IF the teachers would take the time to tell me which ones they need copying!
As to the Human Body, we purchased the Human Body in Action Series from VEA and found it very useful..
http://www.vea.com.au
Rita

Post by Rita »

Our videos are going onto "Clickview". Data projector is connected to laptop (on its on mobile stand), and viewed in classroom via white screen. Less cumbersome than TV,video and DVD players moved from classroom to classroom.
Rita
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

We have tried going from Video to DVD but can not get them to copy. maybe something I can play with over the coming holidays. Any shortcuts for doing this greatly appreciated.
thanks for all input.
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Hi Kimmy,
Check to see if the little tab on the video tape has been removed. If it has I don't think you can copy it to dvd- or video. It is the protection mechanism to prevent something being taped over it.
Jodie
Didee

Post by Didee »

If the tab has been removed. Just cover the hole with some tape and then you should be able to copy the tape. Hope this helps.
Diana :grin:
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

thank you to all that have helped with this subject
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College

Post by dolphinscales »

we have gone to clickview also and have education license (or lib does) to tape from paid tv to put on the clickview system.

We are in a lucky situation also as we have 3 campuses using our lib. us , a tafe and a uni so we can often get items brought thru the lib who can spread the costs out. We jsut recently got some great titles from Marcom to replace some of our videos.