Magic Crystal Tree

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Re: Magic Crystal Tree

Post by Graham Kemp »

fibreweb wrote:I set this up on Friday using Pascoes Bluo that i got and Coles and am very dissapointed in the results. :redcard:

Nothing much has happened. The liquid didn't migrate up the cardbord tree at all and there are no signs of crystals.
I did use ammonia but I did use my neat ammonia which may have been too strong?

I tried it also with some chromatography paper made into a tree, this has gone blue with the liquid moving up it with a little crystal growth (blue) but nothing like the crystal growth I was lead to expect.

I wonder where I have gone wrong :?
As mentioned previously, Bluo doesn't appear to actually contain Prussian Blue any more. Apparently it's long since been upgraded to contain optical brigtener nanoparticals instead; as have its competors, so it seems.
Graham Kemp wrote:Pascoes' MSDS isn't particularly forthcoming about the contents.

However, Bluo appears to reference a use of optical brighteners rather than bluing.

Bluing is just a bit olde tech.
The old fashioned bluing agents just don't seem to be available anymore, and optical brighteners won't work for the experiment.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

mtg wrote:Finally back on line, will be trying the crystal tree tomorrow, sounds like most sat solns for crystals should work? What's the silver crystals on copper? Is it silver nitrate and how do you get it on the copper?
Suspend a thin copper wire (or tuning) in silver nitrate solution, then just let the chemistry happen.

Cu (s) + Ag(NO3)2 (aq) -> Ag (s) + Cu(NO3)2 (aq)
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Post by sunray18 »

Found this in 'Sick Science' on You tube..
'Sick Science' #068

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqq3XGt ... 76316E5992
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Thanks for these ideas. Have made the silver/copper ones before but had forgotten! And managed to watch youtube clip (awesome) once.... but now my computer wont let me watch it again. Will have to try on another. Looks so cool hope we can do it, wonder if those cheap kits you get from discount stores use the same chems???