Blue Metal

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Blue Metal

Post by RosalieM »

Hi again... The kids are doing a prac where they pour different materials through a funnel and look at how it falls, measuring the height and spread. I've got the coarse sand, fine sand and candles (they just get melted - not through the funnel!) and the other thing is blue metal. Where would I get some of that? Or can anyone suggest a substitute? Iron filings? Crushed rock? The surface of the carpark??? I don't even know what blue metal is, and the teacher isn't in today and all the other teachers are teaching (surprise surprise!) so I can't ask if this is what they normally use.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Blue Metal

Post by Lyn »

Blue metal is just the gravel that is used for roadwork and to put into concrete for driveways etc. Just grab a small quantity from the edges of the carpark if you have loose gravel there.
Lyn.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Lyn is right Rosalie. Blue metal is blue.greygravel. It comes in various sizes. You might like to check out what size is best for you.
Maree
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

if you can't get it on site at school a sand and soil supplier would probably give you an ice-cream container worth.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our local garden centre, has given us in the past, a small ice container, if i take a letter head, say it is for experiments. Can be helpful. Also 6 different types of soils, again small amounts. Good, beats buying it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: