Failure to hatch chicks

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Failure to hatch chicks

Post by Slartibartfast »

If using an egg turner, set it inside the incubator. Before starting incubation, let the incubator run for at least three hours with a day being better. This insures that you have adjusted the temperature correctly, and it will stay constant enough. Once in the incubator, eggs need to be turned at least three times a day by hand if a turner is not used. Write with a pencil (pen will get in and harm the babies) on each egg with an X on one side and an O on the other side. That way, you can turn them all to the X side at one turning and to the O side at the next turning. Try to turn an odd number of times so a different direction stays down over the longer time during the night. Mother hens turn their eggs at least a dozen times a day as they wiggle around and move the eggs. The reason eggs will never hatch if not turned often is that the embryo and/or yolk will stick to the inside of the egg's outer membranes/walls. If the yolk or the baby on the yolk get stuck there, they cannot develop properly.

Hope this helps
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: Failure to hatch chicks

Post by Ian »

Greg wrote:Hi Everyone,
Is there anyone out there that has experience in using Multiplo incubators. On two occasions, I've had a great number of fertile eggs that have died at about day 18. Those that make it through the hatching process do so only just. Through out the incubation period the eggs lose the required amount of weight ( between 13 - 15% ) so humidity is at the required level, and then on day 19 I increase the humidity to an extent that condensation forms on the veiwing glass. Temperature is exactly 37.6 and doesn't budge through out the incubation period. Perhaps the fan may be running a little fast but I'd doubt that is would make such a dramatic effect. Can anybody help? It is becoming very frustrating to me and the students. :mad:
Hi there,
I am probably a bit late here, but I stumbled across your post a couple of days ago, and have put your question to our Ag Assistant. Here is his reply. I hope it is of some use to you even at this very late stage.
Regards
Ian

"Dear Ian,
we use Multiquip incubators here and have had no major problems. The only thing I can say is to make sure the eggs are NOT turned after 19th day.

I was talking to the manager of a large hatchery at Ludenham and she said the exact humidity is not that critical. I also know if the temperature is too hot some chicks will be born with defects ( like bent feet ).

On the Multiquip instructions they also advise to open ventilation holes to control the temperature if required on the 18th day..

On the last 3 days of incubation I always use a pump bottle to spray the eggs with warm water, usually 3 times a day to help to chicks break through the shell on the 21st day. I also add an extra tray of water in the bottom of the incubator to keep the humidity up.

regards,
Geoff"