Greenleaf Farm Lab

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Greenleaf Farm Lab

Post by J »

To all those labbies out there who also help in Agriculture:

We have a test kit called the Greenleaf Farm Lab, developed by the CSIRO. It's quite a few years old now, and hasn't been used for quite some time. (Before my time here). Our HT has dragged it out and would like to use it. It uses a few reagents labelled: P1, P2, P3, (for phosphorus testing) and N1, N2, N3, N4 (for nitrogen testing). Would anyone out there have one and know what these reagents are? The tests are performed on leaves, not soil. Can also test water samples. I have a manual, but the instructions say to order replacement reagents when supply is low. (from the supplier of course, whoever that may be). I've checked the CSIRO website, and googled, but no reference to this kit anywhere. Any ideas?? :oops:

Julie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Greenleaf Farm Lab

Post by Labbie »

Try Haines in VIC, we had the same thing with water testing kits. Still they would not give us the names of the chemcials.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lada

Post by lada »

Be careful using unknow :unsure: chemicals. Our kids are testing local water ways and the nitrate(or nitrite) test was scrapped because it was not safe for students. They are still doing the phos test.
J

Post by J »

Thank you both.

Not planning to use the chemicals until I know what I'm dealing with. Mostly was wondering about replacing the chemicals, and of course hoping I could use something we already have in stock rather than ordering some Secret Squirrel stuff that we've probably got in the cupboard anyway. But I won't be touching anything until I know what it is. :coffee: :wink2:

Julie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

"The ascorbic acid method is generally used for measuring phosphate in a sample. The ascorbic acid produces this test's characteristic blue colour."
But as for the rest and which is which, well.........

I'd put it aside.

View more at:

http://www.waterwatch.org.au/publicatio ... horus.html
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
ri

Post by ri »

Hi Julie,
we have a Greenleaf Farm Lab kit which I don't think we have ever used.
I pulled it out and there are sheets labelled 'Confidential - Preparation of reagents for schools'.
I can fax it to you if you would like,
Regards,
~Robyn
J

Post by J »

Hi Robyn

That sounds like it might be what we need. I would appreciate it if you could fax it to me on 02 66572281.
Thanks heaps. \:D/ =D>
Julie