Laser pointer?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Laser pointer?

Post by Sassi »

Morning everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and feel relaxed and refreshed! I had a great holiday, spent most of it lapping up some sun at the beach, we were so lucky with the weather :D Only thing was it went to quickly, already started count down to the next holidays, 8wks and 2 days to go \:D/

So to the question finally... Laser pointers... my teachers want one, but for some reason it rings a bell with me, could it be we are not allowed to have them? If we cant, could you let me know the reason why, but if we can, does anyone know where we can get them from?

Cheers, Sassi :wub:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Laser pointer?

Post by smiley »

Don't know the answer to your first question, but we have one, and we got it from Dick Smith, or somewhere like that. I think Scientrific has them too. I store mine in the original little plastic box it came in, and I take the batteries out every time, so no fool can pick it up and wave it around, at least, not on my turf.
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I think there was talk of banning them because some idiots have been blinding pilots coming in to land in Sydney with them.. I think that they are permitted to be sold and used in educational organizations..... I think....
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

There is no issue with the keeping and usage of laser devices - so long as they are securely stored and a 'laser devise in use' sign is diplayed when being used. Lasers are used in many areas in schools other than pointers including copiers and bar code readers - so if they ban them, we're stuffed!

Sadly, like most things they will get banned when the twits of society find how they can use them innappropriately to injure or inconvenience others.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Robb

Laser pointer?

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Laser Pointers can be a confusing issue for some, mainly because what type, who uses it and how it is going to be used.

I purchased my personal Crystal Laser, Very Powerful and we sometimes use this here in our physics classes. Just to re-iterate what Richard said, that its fine considering the following are followed:

A sign is displayed (Laser In Use);

You have a copy of the Laser Guidlines in presence and that you have read and understand them;

You have a Laser Safety Officer present when the Laser is in use.

Apart from that all should be fine.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 13 Oct 2008, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction to text
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **