This awful weekend

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

This awful weekend

Post by Labbie »

Hi chemtalk,

I just had to say how awful truly awful this weekend has been. From the fire's in Victoria, my heart just goes out to all the people, farmers, animals, firefighters, recues services. The people that have lost their homes, personal items. Too loved ones. Words just do not seem enough. It has taken so many lives, please except my condolences. To the floods's up North, I know this is a wonderful country, as I have lived a many places around the world, England, Spain, France, and a short time in Kenya. The people are just almost perfect, they get together to help each other, I feel the pain of the floods, to the fires. May god bless each and every one of you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
coxy

Re: This awful weekend

Post by coxy »

Morning Sue,
I totally agree. From one extreme to the other, this country has it all! But there is nowhere else we would rather be. Heaven help those people who may have deliberately started any or the fires, both here (NSW) and Victoria. I hope they get life imprisonment!! I watched some of the tv reports; so sad, those poor people. How brave are the fire services volunteers and staff who fight fires. Amazing people, incredible country.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Our thoughts and prayers are with our mates down south, stay safe guys, PLEASE!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

My thoughts are the same - I watched the TV coverage in shock. My son used to be a rural fire fighter and I know, from his experience, how hard they work - while all of us are running, they advance on fires!
My prayers and those of all our school here are with all those affected in Victoria.
To the flood vistims also - our prayers are with you all
Pam
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

My heart goes out to everyone affected by both these disasters, but especially the enormous human tragedy unfolding in Victoria.
Given the conditions, the terrain, and the access, those poor people had little hope of escape.
It has touched every one of us, no matter which part of Australia we live in, but the shock must be tremendous for all Victorians.
Over the years living on properties I've been involved in a few fire emergencies, but to see whole towns wiped out..... the scale of this is very hard to accept....
Hugs and sympathies to all....
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

It just keeps getting worse and worse.
Unimaginable....

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved

Dee
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

Thoughts and wishes are with everyone caught up in this terrible terrible disaster. We sit in disbelieve as it all unfolds on our TVs, and can't believe how this could have happened, no escape for alot of the residents. My heart goes out to everyone involved.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I have suggested to our SRC that they do some sort of fundraising to help out some of the victims. It would be good if every school could do the same wouldn't it, I think it also gets the students thinking about someone else and how lucky we are to be alive.
Estelle
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I would like to organise some kind of a program to get everyone to donate blood. I don't know if we can arrange for a mobile collection to happen in some of the smaller regional areas, but it would be worth enquiring. Will get to it later today if I can.

Julie
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Our school is having a mufty day on Friday, gold coin donation, to raise money for the bushfire relief.Blood/plasma donation is a great idea too. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Victoria, and the disaster areas, what can one say.
Lisa
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

I can't believe that at 8 am this morning 173 people had lost their lives because someone thought it would be FUN to light a fire. Our school is doing lunch bbqs all week and there was some talk of everyone buying knickers and toiletries and sending them to the red cross.

I really am angry at the total devistation caused to life and property because of idiots.

CC
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Totally agree with all the sentiments expressed so far - it just totally defies belief that a tragedy on this scale could happen. I can't begin to imagine the despair of anyone involved. We're taking up a collection within the school community which we will forward on to the Salvation Army. Every bit helps. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this terrible devastation.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Lis wrote:Our school is having a mufty day on Friday, gold coin donation, to raise money for the bushfire relief.Blood/plasma donation is a great idea too. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Victoria, and the disaster areas, what can one say.
Lisa
We are also doing a mufty day on friday, everyone has to wear red and white for the red cross... But it just doesn't feel like its enough... I feel so helpless. Wish I could do something for all those poor victims :-(
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

My thoughts also go to all those who have lost loved ones or homes in the fires. Just the most terrible time for everyone .
Our school is also doing fund raising starting with a gold coin donation and working from there.
After the tsunami the school had a great idea for fundraising and started a competition with the local boys high to see who could raise the most money.
The captains of the school that lost had wear the the other schools uniform for a day as a penalty. Teachers from different faculties promised to do different things when a certain amount was raised eg.wear their pj's to school for the day when the total reached $ 5000.
After carwashes, cake stalls,the school choir busking at the local railway. sausage sizzles and many other fund raisers each school raised over $25,000 !!!!
In the end Cheltenham was beaten by Epping by a couple of hundred dollars but no one minded as the result was so fantasic.
I am hoping we can do something similiar this time so will keep you posted with any good ideas.
I hope the weather is kind to those still thretened by fires. Please know that our thoughts will be with you all.
Helen
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We are also doing a mufty day on friday, everyone has to wear red and white for the red cross... But it just doesn't feel like its enough... I feel so helpless. Wish I could do something for all those poor victims :-([/quote]

Give blood that would help so many people, that are burnt.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I agree Sue

The best thing we can all do is go and donate blood ASAP!!

It's so simple. You can only give blood every 12 weeks, and I gave in the last holidays, so can't at the moment. You can donate plasma every 2 weeks I think. So all of you who have been saying you'll do it one day, get out there and do it now!! It's the best thing you can give these people who have suffered so much!!

Julie
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

I donate plasma regularly, but sometimes donate whole blood when I can as I am O-. Our school has being selling its vegetables to staff members and running a few different events to raise donations and an organisation I am involved in donated half the money that we had in the organisations bank account to the Red Cross