Searching Chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Searching Chemwatch

Post by MariaC »

:banghead: Hi can anyone help me with searching in chemwatch :-| I dont know if its just me but I find it very frustrating. For instance Im trying to find a MSDS and labels for 1M potassium nitrate, have tried typing in various conbinations and get up to 2000+ chemicals none of which is a 1M solution of potassium nitrate :crazy: :crazy:Its driving me :crazy: yours in anxious anticipation [-o< Maria
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: Searching Chemwatch

Post by noona »

Hi Maria
I have just done a search and your right no 1M Potassium Nitrate :redcard: :redcard:
When Richard comes to the conference at St Mary's I think we need a list of stuff to give him and maybe he can have it put on chemwatch for us =D> =D>
Noona
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:thumbup: Thanks Noona so its not just me!I can find 0.5M and there may be no difference but I want to put the correct MSDS in my folder and correct labels on my bottle so not happy :redcard:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Scuse my (large) ignorance.... but.... I thought it was ok if we didn't have the exact chemical concentration as long as we had the MSDS for the strongest concentration we have??????

Oh no... thinking of all the extra sheets that need printing off.... sigh...
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Oh Phew! Was worried there for a moment! :D
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Gee for labels - I alter the concentration myself....
Chemwatch can sometimes be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale
State/Location: QLD

Post by buggman »

If you email chemwatch - customer service @<URL removed, see forum rules> - and let them know what you are looking for, they can add it to your files. Sometimes it is necessary to use a code instead of name, we have to with nickel chloride. I have always had good turn around time in additions to our chemwatch data.
Robb

Searching Chemwatch

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Just to rid of the mystery with 1M Potassium Nitrate there is not difference in Hazardous condition for the 0.5M and 1M Potassium Nitrate Solutions. This is due to the fact that the 1M solution has only a 50g difference to that of the 0.5M solution in the SI unit of 1 litre. So the MSDS will have no changes except the name of the concentration will differ.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello Labfriends,
I have been plodding away today with Chemwatch trying to find info as per the other posters.
I have just found the labels! But nothing else I’m trying to find. :crazy:

What I’m really looking for is a list of chemicals in various concentrations that indicate the DET codes for users i.e. Green for 7-12, Orange for 11-12 etc. Can anyone help me please?

I use a Word document (I will try to attach it) that I got hold of five years ago in my first incarnation as a labbie, to create all my labels. Depending on the category I just print them out on the corresponding coloured paper. But the list is not exhaustive and I’m concerned about the descriptions I’m reading in Chemwatch that I don’t really understand.

Does Chemwatch have a tutorial? Also noticed that the disposal for all the chemicals I’ve read about today have been to bury them in the tip. How do I find out about liquids? At this point in my labbie evolution the only thing I know about chemical disposal (apart from “DON’T YOU PUT THAT WASTE CHEMICAL IN YOUR CAR! MAKE THE TEACHER DO IT” Thanks, again ! :wub:
Is that only tiny amounts of copper sulfate solution can go down the sink with copious amounts of water. Gee – I hope I’ve got that one thing right.

Feel like I’ve just been floundering today. :oops:

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers,
Patti

By the way I just entered Robb's quote
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO

into a Latin translator and it came back with

TO STAR VERY VIOLENT ALWAYS SCOUT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Search Engine
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hey search engine,

You really need to refer to the CSIS manual this will give you all the DET user codes for the chemicals we use. I don't know about anyone else but I really only use chemwatch for labels and MSDS which I put in a folder and they never get referred to again except by me!
The teachers will use the CSIS or just look at the label and the spot that I put on the bottle/container.

Hope this helps you stop floundering a little!!

Lorrae
The Search Engine

thanks, Lorrae.
I will dig out the CSIS and see what I can find. Hoping its not in Appendix D which is missing from my folder.....

Patti
The Search Engine
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I don't know how you can work without appendix D that's my bible. :giggle: :giggle: I refer to it all the time, "see you can't let Year 7's use that" if it's in black and white print, teacher's understand.
The Search Engine

So Macca,
Where do I get one? :D
cheers
Search
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Patti,

All DET schools were issued with the CSIS package some years back, and your SAM should also have a copy somewhere, I think. Do a search - I'm sure someone posted recently how to go about getting a copy.
Or ask your opposite number at another school to photocopy it for you.
The user codes and colours are listed.
Other appendices give lots of useful info - too much to list everything eg. waste bottles; transportation of chemicals; disposal: including how to dilute solutions/quantities that can be disposed via sewer, what goes to landfill, etc. etc.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

Not sure whether this helps, but the NZ Chemwatch site has a downloadable tutorial.
http://www.chemie-tech.co.nz/Schools/schools.htm
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Search engine, Perhaps you may be able to down load it from the CSIS site on the portal. I have done this in the past, the library has a much faster printer. so I did it on the library's one.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Search engine, Perhaps you can down load it from the CSIS site, it should be on your portal page. I used the Library's printer, it is much faster then the one in science. That may help you out.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Chemwatch!!!!!
:redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Chemwatch is a general, all-industries chemical information resource. It is not specific to schools, and especially not to NSW schools, so you won't find information about NSW DET allowable uses, recomended year levels etc anywhere on Chemwatch. CSIS, as far as I know, is the only place you will find this information. I suggest you try to get a new copy of appendix D from somewhere like the others suggested. Ask around the school, including the library. Surely there are spare copies stored somewhere in the DET but as I'm in a private school I wouldn't know where to begin to find out. Sorry you've spent so much time looking on Chemwatch for info that isn't there. Like Lorrae said, it's really only useful to us for MSDSs and labels, and the manifest if you have time to get it established. I started once... but it is so time consuming to set up. Maybe during one of the holidays I will get permission to do overtime to set it up.

Rosalie
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi,
I printed off a manual that is fairly easy to follow about using the chemtalk program.
After you login etc. on the left hand side of the screen there is a document icon. Click on that and underneath there is a list that offers workbook;quickstart;manual etc. Click on the one you want and then open the file. I printed off the workbook and use that for a quick reference on how to use the program.
Hope that helps
Estelle