SMARTBUY

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
joness
State/Location: NSW

SMARTBUY

Post by joness »

Hi Everyone,

I know that we should all be now using SMARTBUY to make any purchases for Science, but I am obviously doing something wrong because every time I search for a product, it comes up "cannot find". Even simple products such as test tubes and copper sulfate. Is anyone else having a problem? Or is it just me - any feedback will help.

Thanks

Susie
aude
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Maitland

Re: SMARTBUY

Post by aude »

What is SMARTBUY??? :-o I have never heard of it though I do work in the catholic system....which might explain why!
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to cater for science at all.

Carol
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The catholic system uses "Corporate Express" but again it is geared towards the front office and dosen't stoct science supplies Serrata is usually the best and cheapest for science stuff, hope I didn't break the rules then :oops:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

You do know that you can buy from other suppliers all you have to do is put on the bottom of the order can only get fron this supplier. I do it each time I order something and have not had any problems.
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
joness

Post by joness »

Hi, me again,

Smartbuy is a department introduced system where govt schools must make any purchases from a listed supplier (Smartbuy Website). If you try to "find" the product on the site and are unable to "find" it, only then can you purchase it from another company and you must write on your order form that you were unable to find in SMARTBUY. However, it seems every time I try to order something for Science from Smartbuy, it says it is unable to find??????

Surely there is something wrong?? Or maybe I am doing something wrong. I may have to try and contact someone at Smartbuy and have a chat.

Susie
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hello,
I got the job last year of doing the ordering for the whole school using the smartbuy system. It nearly drove me NUTS!!! Actually it still does.
The search system is ridiculous. You have to pretty much second guess what the person setting up the system had in mind and I think they must have been having some bad days when they were doing it.
Anyway if you put in test tube, flask, beaker you will get results but don't use any plurals it doesn't like it.
It comes up with anything that actually sounds like what you put in as well, e.g. clamp comes up with sport net clamps and as you scroll down you also get lamp, figure that out.
Also don't use brand names e.g. whiteout, otherwise you may only get one selection, you have to actually call it correction fluid to see what else is on offer.
If you are searching for a particular chemical, don't put in the (logical) chemical name, you have to just type the word "chemical" in the search bar and then you get to scroll down and find the one you want. Like, you have the time to do that!!
Also you can get an image of the item but be careful because sometimes the image doesn't match the description so you might get something you hadn't planned on.
Good Luck.
Hope this helps somehow.
If all else fails call the helpline like someone else suggested, hopefully if we ask enough questions and let them know what isn't working then it MIGHT get to be more user friendly.

Estelle