water distillers

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
joness
State/Location: NSW

water distillers

Post by joness »

Hi Everyone,

I need to buy a new water distiller for science as our old one has finally died. Has anyone bought one lately that they can recommend? It would be nice to get one that doesnt waste the excess water down the sink. Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks

Susie
blossom

Re: water distillers

Post by blossom »

I have given up on water distillers - besides wasting water it has also been very time consuming. I now order distilled water from Refresh Waters 1300 88 32 88 and they deliver a 20 gallon container with a tap to the prep time usually within the week for $11. This lasts me quite often for a term or more. Good way to go.
Blossom
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Hi Blossom,

Is that 20 gallons or 20 litres? I buy the 10L containers from Refresh because they're easier to carry and lift and I don't have bench space in the labs to accomodate 100L (~20 gallon) containers. Price here is $28.00 for 20 gallons.

Cheers
Fran
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I thought Distillers were banned due to the water shortage, or is that only in metro Sydney.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The other option is to buy de-mineralising filter, and tell teachers it's distilled water, we are a school not a university, they can't tell the differance with our equipment and what they don't know won't worry them. :crazy:
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Get a filter system - we use Millipore. Stills waste water and muck up your pH (due to CO2 absorption).
Xe, SD, KOPR
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

This is a topic that comes up frequently.
We have a Filter System (from Serata) that works very well, but by the time we replace the filters about once a year or 18 months, it is as cheap to but 2L bottles from IGA. If you can get 20 gallon drums delivered for $11, then that would be the way to go!
regards
Ian
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Do a bit of a search on here - we are looking at buying (just waiting for approval) one that has no water wastage that I read about on here. I'll try to find it and attach a link.
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

http://chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f= ... =distiller this is the link to the other discussion. Labman has a post about the one I mentioned above. Check it out :) I looked into purchasing water at the prices others have mentioned and the best I could do was $20 for $20L, plus my fuel and time to go get it from across town (close to 40min round trip) so it just wasn't worth it. We did it while the drought was on but now we have no water restrictions I am back to using the still that wastes water while I wait for approval to get the other one.