incubator light

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

incubator light

Post by Rita »

We have an incubator used for holding agar plates for mould growth. The base has a tray for water and the back holds a bayonet style 200W light globe. The unit has a thermostat so we can control the temperature.
Well, teachers wanting to do mould prac and wouldn't you know it.....light globe blows. Does anyone have any ideas for replacement globe types and any suppliers now that we can't buy these old ones any more?
Have rung a couple of places in town, hydroponics shop say the will sell new bases and heat from light not important. Your view please.
Rita
dime

Re: incubator light

Post by dime »

One would imagine the thermostat will control the temp whether the light is on or not, taking into account how much heat comes from the light if it is on. To buy a replacement lamp, try wherever you would buy an oven light replacement. Take the old one with you so you can get the best match. If you can't source one locally, try google. That is how I found the electrical connectors for my golf buggy, that were not available locally. Good luck
lada

Post by lada »

I agree with Dime. The light will not control temp. and mould will grow in dark. :crazy:
Give it a go.
Lada :coffee:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

We sometimes put the agar plates in a dark cupboard, its hot enough up here around 32oC inside the cupboard or place them near a hot water system, mould still grows like crazy.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

when the light bulb works does the light stay on when you close the door or is it like a fridge, and goes off?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our one does not have a light, never has had. Just a glass door.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rita

Post by Rita »

light used to go on and off.
Will try your suggestions, thank you.
Rita
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Just send it down to me - and I will put it into my fridge!

[a donated one which came all 'moulded' up and even bleach cant stop the growth!]