What is your shelving like?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

What is your shelving like?

Post by linotas »

Ok, you will need to bare with me with the somewhat left field questions, but I am wanting to know what your chem storage for non dangerous goods is like. Do you have them in cupboards or just shelving? Either way, what type of shelving is it, or more importantly, how are the shelves fixed? The chem storage standard only really talks about no lateral movement, but I am concerned with the fit out in my new prep rooms as the shelving is adjustable and just held up with the peg system you see in wardrobes etc.

Also if anyone is in a middle school or any school really of about 600 students, what type of dangerous goods dedicated cabnets do you have?

Thanks in advance :D
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Re: What is your shelving like?

Post by trish armstrong »

At my school we have the corrosives and flammables in proper cupboards and the rest are on shelves (made of chipboard) (which I hate!), I have been trying to collect glass to put on the chipboard as I have seen at other schools, but its a slow process.
I have no chemicals in my preproom, all are in the chem store room, as my chemroom is next to my preproom. the shelving in the chemroom is permanently fixed not on pegs.
we have approx 1000 students at my school, And recently was visited by an OHS officer who told me that corrosive chemicals must be in a Australian standard cupboard so we purchased one, even though they were stored locked away in the chemroom which is ventilated,
Hope his is helpful.
Trish. :D
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Thanks Trish, very helpful. :) I have the option of a chem store room however, it is the opposite side of the lab to the prep room which would mean walking though the class with any chemicals I may need. What do people think of that? I think the HOS is keen to have the chem storage in the prep room and I must say, that is how it is set up at the other school I work for.
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

Hi Linotas
My Chemicals are all kept in the Chemstore on wood with glass on each shelf.
I would be talking to your OH&S if you have to walk throught a class room full of students.
I know you can get things out before hand but sometimes you may need to get chemicals out on the spot now and then.
Hope this is helpful to you
Lurra AKA Noona
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

i just love my dexion shelves so easy to manage.
photolab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Please do a search for shelving & chemicals, there was a awful lot done on this topic, it does make for very interesting reading. My Chemicals store is very old. Ply wood, so we have glass strips on top of the old wood, for corrosive chemicals, works a treat. But please do a search. so very good reading.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smiley

Post by smiley »

I have new Gratnell System which I love. :wub: I also have an ELFA shelf system from Howards Storage World, which has wire racks, with a kind of slot-n-lock bracket system, so that the shelves lock in to the brackets, making them immovable. Then I have stuff in basket and tubs on the shelves. It is really strong, but also removable, so whenever I get my new labs I can take it with me. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Smiley,
Do you have any photos of your gratnell system? Is it a mix of shelves and draws or what? Who did you purchase through? Did you design it yourself?
This is what we are currently looking at to replace our existing extremely corroded shelving.I've not seen it in the flesh and was concerned about how it would all work.

Lorrae
smiley

Post by smiley »

Will talk to my Library friends and get a photo to post tomorrow. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)