Student lab coats

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ri
State/Location: NSW

Student lab coats

Post by ri »

G'day all.
each year we arrange the laundering of our student lab coats (around 200).
This year, rather than just getting them washed by the local drycleaner, I would like to get them cleaner, sparking and whiter than white. Does anyone know of such a service in Sydney?
Cheers,
~Robyn
Wishing all my colleagues a well deserved and safe holiday and a Merry Christmas!
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Just a quick question. What is the rough nos of sizes per class. As I'm not sure what to order next year as its not worth ordering just one size and hope you got it right.

Kim
ri

Student lab coats

Post by ri »

Hello Kim,
We eventually ordered white lab coats in Medium 102cm (50%) and Large 112cm (50%) , with 1 or 2 extra large ones 122cm for each class in years 7 - 12. Small children just have to roll the sleeves up. (I wish they ALL would for dissections!!).
We get them from President Safety Supplies (03 9587 4171) @ around $22 each, depending on quantity.
Cheers,
~Robyn
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Student Lab Coats

Post by Teresa »

Hi Robyn, Kim and others that read this forum,
200 lab coats are a lot of lab coats!
Can I ask you how you store them?
Many Thanks.
Regards
Teresa
ri

Student lab coats

Post by ri »

No worries,
we have coat hooks for 30 lab coats in each lab. A rack of 15 spaces on opposite sides of the room. Our class numbers are around 24 so there are a few spares.
Cheers,
~Robyn
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Student Lab Coats

Post by Teresa »

Thank you Robyn,

It is great to get such prompt feedback!!

Regards
Teresa
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Thankyou Robyn for the % of coats size. This is a great help.
Joy
State/Location: TAS

student lab coats

Post by Joy »

Robyn, at my school the cooking class attendant has kindly offered to wash our lab coats in the same way she washes the tea towels and aprons. I just got my first batch from her today and they are whiter than ever. She saoked them overnight in bleach. We have washing machines and dryers in the home economics area so it makes sense to utilise these facilities. Mind you we only have 50 lab coats. :lol: Before she offered I was considering using the local laudromat - they have folks that do laundry for a fee - wouldn't that be cheaper than dry cleaning?
Joy
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale
State/Location: QLD

Lab coats

Post by buggman »

At our school I get the job of washing the coats (180). We tried a laundromat but they charged $2.20 per coat and they couldn't keep them in class sets - all in together. We found they weren't coming back clean as we had to pay extra for soaking per item. The school finds it cheaper to pay me to wash and repair them