A general discussion and Q & A forum.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

storing Electrical Wires

Post by kimmy »

Hi there :-) , we have now all learnt how everyone stores there Test Tubes now can someone please tell me what is the best way to store the Electrical wires with Aligator clips. These are my worst nightmare 8O .
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi Kim

We store our cords on a piece of thin wooden board and clip the cords on top and bottom then hang with a bit of wire on a hook on the walll and back of the door.

Works well, no tangles and easy to count.

Cheers Nicky :D
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

Hey there Kimmy

A simple method I use is coat hangers - i clip the alligator clip to the wire of the coat hanger - easy for the kids to put back up - mind you this works best for alligator to banana (other wise there are hook up issues with hanging alligator clips). Nice and easy to store this way also
- just find a place to hang the coat hanger up out of the way :).
We dont use alligator to alligator clips here and if they are required i have a few that are put away in a tote box - not so many that tangles are an issue.

I also look forward to hear how others store theirs
Paula
State/Location: VIC

storing electrical wires

Post by Paula »

Hi, I just clip them to coat hangers and hang them off a hook on the electical trolley. This has worked fairly well since I tried this way about 2 years ago
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

Storeage Electrical Wires

Post by kimmy »

Thanks for the ideas. Have tried coat hangers but was just wondering what others used.
Alice
State/Location: WA

Storing electrical wires

Post by Alice »

Hi Kimmy

I use peg board (approx 45 x 30cm). I glue 10 small pieces of dowelling into the holes, across the top and bottom of the peg board. I attach the alligator clips to the dowelling, top and bottom of the board. (This holds 10 leads. You can have more, just put more dowelling on the top and bottom).
You can also have boards with no dowelling for banana-banana leads (just push plugs into the holes.) or with one row of dowelling for banana-alligator clips. I hang the boards on the wall. I use leads of different colours eg alligator-alligator are red, banana-banana are yellow - this makes it easy for kids to use the right board when putting away.

I get my local hardware store to cut the boards the size I want them.

I hope this might help.

Alice
Miranda
State/Location: VIC

Post by Miranda »

We have a wooden board which has two sides to keep it upright, and a top piece of wood with slits in it which the wires get slotted in to, hanging down in bunches, if that makes sense :lol: They were made by our previous lab tech, and they're a little cumbersome I admit.