Chemwatch Issues

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Chemwatch Issues

Post by cactus155 »

What does everyone do when they cannot find a particular chemical on Chemwatch/Chemgold II? For example they list some concentrations of Hydrochloric Acid but not all of them. This questions has most likely been asked and answered elsewhere on the forums but i couldn't find it.

Also printing labels is annoying as the window that asks if you want to change the size/position of the labels also prints over the top of the labels, what do you do?
Thanks
Andrew
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Post by Jazz »

hi,
There is a way how to do it. If you can call me on 02 96261999 between 9-2
Monday to Thursday
I’ll talk you through, but make sure that you are in front of you computer
Cheers Jazz
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Chemwatch Issues

Post by fibreweb »

Hi All,

When I tried this morning to get into the Chemwatch site from chemwatchdb.det.nsw.edu.au I couldn't get in. The usual "allow pop-ups" notification didn't come up, and the front front page keeps on searching then I got a "this page cannot be displayed" .

I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the Chemwatch site or is it something in our school computer system.
The Head teacher computer here is not at all user friendly so I wanted to make sure if it was an internal problem before I spoke to him about it.

Thanks Wendy
dime

Post by dime »

I've been getting the same deal. All day yesterday and again this morning. Our computer guy said to see him at recess, as it may be an internal error - I don't know about that though. Particularly if you're having the same problem.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Same story here, so I guess it's their problem. :coffee:

Julie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

There does seem to be a problem, with Chemwatch, we also can not get onto the site. How ever I also had a problem getting on to chemtalk yesterday.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

I have the same problem as well

Ramona
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,
This probably doesn't help but I just thought let you all know I have just tried chemwatch and don't have a problem. I use a different internet address though. I use http://max.<URL removed, see forum rules>/edu this brings up the normal front chemwatchgold page which then goes into the login screen.
Maybe it is something to do with DET??

Lorrae
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I haven't been able to access Chemwatch this week either. The error message says something about the internal server.
I can't get onto chemtalk directly either - I had to go in through history - but I can access all the other internet sites.

Carol
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

It must be something to do with the DET as we usually are able to go straight in , we do not need a login and password.

Wendy
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

We had a message in the last week saying we had less than 21 days to go before our Chemwatch subscription ended. The NSW DET supplies this to us free of charge. Pain though being unable to use it but I'm sure they'll sort it out in Bridge Street.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

I think Chemwatch is working now, I am able to get in now
dime

Post by dime »

Yes I can get in now, but it won't search for the chemical. Small steps - maybe after lunch it will work.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Got Chemwatch working here again now
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

We are a DET school, but my Head Teacher, would like to know if any schools pay for Chem watch, in which case, do you find it worth while. We have been told Chemwatch Pay one, also does risk assesments for you, is this correct. Any idea who much this would cost us. I have rung Chem watch, but they hope to get back to me in a few days.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

THeir was a lot of posts when I put this one. Funny is'nt it, the minute the Head teacher, whats an answer, its now :mad: :mad:
Regards Labbie

birdie

Post by birdie »

Hi Andrew

If you cannot find a chemical on the chemwatch site, you can email them and ask them to put the chemical you want onto the site.I was told this at a course run by them in Sydney.
Good luck
Gail :-)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

My head teacher, Has asked if the people that pay for chemwatch, what do you get, I have been told that if you pay for chemwatch, you get risk assesments done, each time you logon, it tells you what has changed, since you were last on the site. I also believe you can put your chemcial register on the site. Any way I put up this question, but perhaps some people miss understand. Chemwatch are taking their time in getting back to us.
Regards Labbie

ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi,
I use ChemWatch all the time and the CEC (Catholic Ed. Commission) has paid for our access for many years and, presumably, for other catholic schools (don't know the cost). I don't know about updating risk assessments eaach time I log on, but I do have my chemical inventory (called a Manifest by ChemWatch) there. Being the worrying type, I also buy the CD each year (about $90) and get the quarterly updates. I do both because sometimes our Internet can be down for protracted periods and I'm not a patient woman. Also, I prefer the labels component of the CD because I'm not very proficient at word processing and manipulating Word files. I've spoken to one of the other labbies herre in Armidale, and she told me that DET users have very limited access to ChemWatch ie. not manifest function.Liz
gwen

Post by gwen »

Hi,
I use the user pays Chemwatch at a DET school. At last year it was $80 for four CDs for the four quarters of the year. Our Computer Chappie puts it on the school network and so all departments have access to MSDS and manifests ( chem stocktake) if they need them.

There are risk assessments for all chemicals supplied but you have to fill in relevant sections about type of use,area, ventilation, etc.

Our OHS committee OKed the purchase, as the manifest on chemgold was not secure last time I looked.

As with all Chemwatch programs it is a bit hard to get used to but I think it is worth the money.

Cheers,
Gwen