Acid Trap?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Acid Trap?

Post by pkij »

Outside the school science laboratories is what I have discovered is an "acid trap" It is a pit in the ground covered by metal plates which can be lifted up. Apparently it is used to tip chemicals into to evaporate for disposal. I have been at the school for 14 years and have never used it let alone known what it was for. After investigation it appears to be full of very dank murky liquid, probably water as it is not exactly water tight and I am sure rain would get into it, I certainly have not tipped any chemicals into there!
Does anyone have one at their school, and if so do you use it and how is it used? Are school laboratories meant to have one or is this just left over from some other dark age of education. Are there regulations regarding use?

I hope someone can enlighten me! :unsure: #-o
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Acid Trap?

Post by sunray18 »

we dont have one of these - but all our sinks go into a grease trap which we share with kitchens.. these are emptied every few years
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Post by rae »

Yes we have a "grease trap" too.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We have chemical pits or "scrubbers". They are layered with carbon, glass beads and aggregate (not i that order) The are regularly pumped out by Veolia (waste company)