Voltameter

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant
State/Location: NSW

Voltameter

Post by Vick »

One of the taps on our voltameter has jammed, and therefore I am unable to turn it.

Does anyone have any advise on how to get the tap working again. Currently I am soaking it in hot soapy water.

Thanks

Vicki
Marjan

Post by Marjan »

Hi;
Just use a couple of drops of castor oil or paraffin. It works for me.
Good luck
Marjan
PhysicsOne

Post by PhysicsOne »

If you hold the glass directly surrounding the tap you can give the end of the tap a little tap with something like a rubber stopper or similar. This is a bit riskful of cracking the voltameter but it may worth a try if all other methods fail.
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Hi PhysicsOne

Another method is to use hot and cold water from the sink taps over the tap body a few times then say after 3 time make sure you use hot as the last (boiling water on the last time just on the body only) then a gentle tap of the tap only (supporting the main body so as not to break it) should free it

Kim.
Robbie

Voltameter

Post by Robbie »

Greetings all,

If water and oil fail, soak the troublesome part in honey. Yep, honey. This will penetrate a hole too small for water. You may need to leave it overnight or over the weekend but it always works for us!

This way you don't risk breaking the voltameter (which is very expensive) by tapping or by using hot and cold water which may crack the glass.

Cheers,

Robbie