Experiment gone wrong

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Experiment gone wrong

Post by Labbie »

Two children are in a serious condition and eight others are injured after they suffered burns when a classroom experiment went wrong at a primary school on Sydney’s northern beaches.

Police and paramedics were called to Manly West Public School on Griffith Street in Balgowlah following reports students had suffered burns during an incident involving hazardous materials about 1.20pm on Monday.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Re: Experiment gone wrong

Post by labbassistant »

My dad told me about this and the way he described it I thought they had used conc sulfuric acid for the carbon snake experiment !! Turns out it was methylated spirits, bicarb and sand.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

And sugar. We've done it here small-scale. Fine to do inside. I wonder why they decided on outdoors. Teacher must have used a lot of metho. It would have been like napalm - those kids are not going to enjoy science with flames or explosions in the future. I wonder if anyone did a risk assessment. Surely flames and wind would be a no-no.
Merilyn1
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

My thought was: what goes wrong when your risk assessment doesn't factor in the weather.

And the moral to the story - untrained people shouldn't be handling chemicals. Safework NSW is going to have a field day - the school's RA was clearly inadequate and what training did the teacher have? Or being a DofE school, was the teacher relying on CSIS? Don't think Safework will wear it. Expect the school to be copping some legal action too.

Not sure how badly the kids were injured but get the feeling it could have been worse.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Two children are still in Westmead with burns!! So pretty bad!
So frightening for all involved.
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

I just got sent a link via RiskAssess from a teacher who wants to show the kids the experiment that went so wrong. The first thing my eye fell on was "Do not perform this experiment in windy conditions". This warning was repeated several times. I think that teacher is in big trouble.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

But being a primary school, My guess would be they do not RA at all. Think you are right teacher in big trouble.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Teacher definitely in trouble but the Principal will be in more!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Three of the four children who remained in hospital after an explosion at a Northern Beaches primary school yesterday have now been discharged.
One student, being treated at the Children's Hospital at Westmead, is now stable.
Regards Labbie

mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Showed the prac on morning TV today! Seriously, how many random people will be out there doing it today?
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

So true MTG so sad.
Regards Labbie

RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

labbassistant wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 07:08 My dad told me about this and the way he described it I thought they had used conc sulfuric acid for the carbon snake experiment !! Turns out it was methylated spirits, bicarb and sand.
Where did you read/hear it was metho? I googled the experiment because I could only think of the sulphuric acid one. The only ones I found using bicarb, sugar and sand asked for lighter fluid!
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

The versions I've seen call for lighter fluid, metho, or ethanol. Perhaps any accelerant will do.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes Rosalie it was Metho, it's only a primary school so they would NOT have had sulfuric Acid. Did it outside in strong wind's.
Regards Labbie

labbassistant
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

RosalieL wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 12:04
labbassistant wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 07:08 My dad told me about this and the way he described it I thought they had used conc sulfuric acid for the carbon snake experiment !! Turns out it was methylated spirits, bicarb and sand.
Where did you read/hear it was metho? I googled the experiment because I could only think of the sulphuric acid one. The only ones I found using bicarb, sugar and sand asked for lighter fluid!
I just googled it and I clicked on an article I found
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Hopefully the metho will just be surface burns then (although still traumatic! Not trying to downplay it). I was imagining those poor kids covered in burning sugar and lighter fluid. So awful no matter what it was.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 13:15 Hopefully the metho will just be surface burns then (although still traumatic! Not trying to downplay it). I was imagining those poor kids covered in burning sugar and lighter fluid. So awful no matter what it was.
I think one of the children is in a really bad shape. They had to be airlifted to hospital and this morning they said their condition "was now stable". I reckon the sugar has stuck to their skin. Not good at all.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Geeez those poor kids. I hope they recover quickly. Teacher would be feeling terrible right now, I feel for all of them. Hopefully they can have some learnings out of this horrid experience.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

My head teacher says that Primary Schools are not allowed to do experiments with anything that's not edible . So using Metho is a breach straight up .

Which could explain why so many year 7 kids are always asking if they can eat everything :yuck:.....to much molly coddling :whistling2:
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

bigmack wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 08:53 My head teacher says that Primary Schools are not allowed to do experiments with anything that's not edible . So using Metho is a breach straight up .

Which could explain why so many year 7 kids are always asking if they can eat everything :yuck:.....to much molly coddling :whistling2:
That's interesting! And yes, explains a bit about why they don't have respect for science chemicals! Surely as a demo it wouldn't have to be edible, would it?