Melting Plastic

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Melting Plastic

Post by macca »

Afternoon everyone, any help or sugguestions for alternate practicals would be greatly appreciated.

I have a teacher that wants to melt milk bottles in a saucepan over heat, apparently for year 12 chemistry. Would you be happy with this? or is there an alternative. I've been told it will not give off any fumes.

Thanks in advance
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Melting Plastic

Post by bigmack »

macca wrote: 04 May 2023, 14:38 I've been told it will not give off any fumes.
Then there should be no problems then …… other than who has to clean to saucepans :o

Most milk bottles are HDPE . It melts around 120°C
Apparently HDPE shouldn’t produce toxic fumes even when burned . So a bit of melting should be fine .

Whats the purpose of the prac ?
Is it to show thermosetting of plastic or to fry the bejesus out if it ?…… and for what purpose ???

I’m not the teacher in charge .
But it sounds pretty harmless to me .
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: Melting Plastic

Post by macca »

Wanted to do in TAS rooms, but I've since spoken with 3 Chemistry teachers. Because I was made to feel like a fool, apparently there is still some fumes not as toxic but still enough that it really doesn't need to be done. This is for Polymers HSC Chem which is only touched on, the kids have already made Nylon which is also not necessary.