pinecone substitute

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

pinecone substitute

Post by RosalieL »

A teacher wants to do a plant prac with placing one pinecone in water overnight and another in a warm, dry area overnight and then compare them. It is not pinecone season! I don't want to buy any... so do any of you have a recommendation for something else we could use that would offer the same/similar outcome?
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Re: pinecone substitute

Post by Marama T »

What is the difference you are trying to show?
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

I just looked on YouTube and it's cool! They open and close. No idea what else would do this - good luck!
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

I know you said you didn't want to buy any, but Bunnings sell them.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Marama T wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 11:33 I just looked on YouTube and it's cool! They open and close. No idea what else would do this - good luck!
Yeah it does look like fun. Our school is prep-12 so I've just asked the primary teachers if any of them have any pine cones stashed away in their store rooms for art/craft. The teacher said it isn't worth buying them. They are looking at a few different plants and interesting things. They are looking at ferns and I'm guessing the spores will all fall out onto the paper overnight. Also seaweed, moss, normal weeds... so the pine cones aren't critical.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Could send out an email around your staff see if anyone has some. I know I have some in my christmas decorations I bring in.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I usually go and scavenge under pine trees, I haven't done this prac but it sounds cool so I will scavenge tonight and hopefully try it out.