Record keeping

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Marjan
State/Location: NSW

Record keeping

Post by Marjan »

Hi everyone;
I'd like to know how do you keep a record of your stuff in your labs, I mean everything inc. glassware, electrical, specimen, chemical, posters....
Do you use any programme or software to keep them updated? programme such as Omega stock controller?
I've received a catalogue for 'Omega stock controller" programme and don't know if that would worth buying?
Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Marjan
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi
When I first started working here I took the time to do a complete stocktake of the whole science area, I then set it up in excel. For example
Storeroom
Bay 1
ticker timers 10
light boxes 12
etc.
Bay 2
transformers 15
mirrors 8
etc
Preproom
cupboard 1
beakers 100 mL 20
250 mL 22
Cupboard 2
funnels 15
ect.
Then each year I print it out and then go around and count everything and then enter in a new column for that year. That way everything should just about be in the same position and easy to find.
I can also use it to change the numbers if I purchase more items or if anything is broken or lost (stolen).
It took me a few hours to set up but has made it easier for me to keep track of things.
Hope this helps, and wasn't too confusing
Estelle.
gurney

Post by gurney »

Hi, I also have set up a Science stocktake in excel. I could send you a copy of a page if you send me your email address. Denise
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yep, excel. Simple, inexpensive, and yet comprehensive enough for our needs
Marjan

Post by Marjan »

thank you denise. I also have made a comprehensive inventory in excel for each prep room, books, posters, speciemen.... , which work very well for everyone so far. I just thought if someone out there use any software or programme which could offer something new.
Thanks
Marjan
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

record keeping

Post by noona »

Hi
I also use excel for my stocktake.
I also did one for each lab and at the end of each term the teacher get the kids to so a stocktake and it tell me if I need to restock the labs.
Rosalie 8-) :-k
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Yep

I do all the above, but there is another reason for doing it, and that is in the case where the science block burns down you can claim the full amount. Its also good to see what replacement is required. 8O

Kim