Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Re: Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by trish armstrong »

Hows this for a laugh, :cheesy:
We recieved 2 of our refurbished labs on the first day back this term,(we recieve the other 2 + prep this tuesday) anyway on friday one of our teachers was explaining to his class about the eyewash etc. And as luck would have it the whole eye wash just burst of the wall at the time the teacher was right near it. :w00t:
Water went everywhere, the carpet was soaked, the roof had water all over it, ten minutes after (we had to shut the water of for the whole school) there was still water dripping from the new heaters on the back wall. #-o
But I had to laugh, the poor teacher panicked and tried everything in his power to contain the water instead of running, looked like a drowned rat. :cheesy:
To rub it in I ran into him at bunnings on the weekend and suggested he now bring a spare set of clothes to school with him on Monday. I couldn't resist!
I even went as far as telling him it was less hassle to use the emergency shower if he was desperate. :cheesy: :cheesy:
We have to take our opportunities when we can, right guys!!!!
:clap3: Trish.
coxy

Re: Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by coxy »

Have just been reading all the information about new labs. I was told yesterday that we can expect to have 4 of our 6 Labs refurbished (before the start of Term 4). Not Prep rooms at all, just 4 labs. Nobody in Science seems to think it will happen at all, and are not appearing to be the least bit interested.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

New labs?

Post by Dee »

How do you find out if you are on the list for the new lab refurbishments in NSW?

We were knocked back for refurbishment under the new federal government grants but am still hoping that our 40 year old labs and prep room may get a look in.....

For those of you that have had refurbishment were you just contacted out of the blue?

I live in hope.....

Dee [-o<
MHourigan

Re: New labs?

Post by MHourigan »

Hi Dee
I would be asking your Principal about the new labs! Ours are 50years old and the other high school in our city got the new labs and prep rooms and their school is probably 25-30years old!
Anyhow I heard that the new labs are not that great prefabricated flimsy :-( so I was thinking maybe we should be just asking for a revamp, say new benchtops and tapware for water and gas and of course brand spanking new state of art fume cupboards would be beautiful, clean up our solid timber drawers and sliding cupboards whack some new handles on, new floors 8)
Maureen
till

Re: New labs?

Post by till »

I have just had labs refurbished at Ballina High. I am really pleased with my new prep room. I now have a compactor for storage so now I don't have to have gear in with my chemicals. I also have 3 tubs stands to store all equipment like spring balances,masses & carriers, lamps, switches etc so when teachers want these things they can just take the tubs. I also now have a working fume cupboard in the prep room. We did have a few issues such as they wanted to put a carpet square in the labs, only eight benches, tiling not right around room etc. etc but overall it is much better than it was before. :clap3: :clap3:
till :grin: