Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Re: Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by trish armstrong »

hi Maria,
My school is currently in the middle of the refurb, we are sooooo running behind schedule I like you are having 6 labs and one prep, When packing up I kept alot of drawers as they were easy to stack on each other and they are labelled(not that I can retrieve anything out of the container its very full)That way I didn't use as many cardboard box's.
You can dispose of them later if you don't need them.
With your dish washer it may be the wording as I thought that I was getting one but was then told no, then it was back on again.
Have a talk to your HOD and discuss what pracs (topics) will be taught while refurb on as its hard to pack away stuff and not be able to get, I have been lucky as Marilyn at Tuncurry school has on occassion been able to lend me stuff, So get in contact with a close school and gee up an arrangement.
Wall draining racks should be included if you are worried ask head teacher to ask, If you are allowed to go to any of the meetings go, I have been lucky to be able to go and listen to the developments.
Storage is my main worry to, We will just have to make do with what we get I think.
Keep smiling, The unpacking after its over will be the worst.
Trish.
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

Hi MariaC,
I have the plans for our new labs and they have..CODE "DW" DESCRIPTION "Dish Washer (domestic type) SIZE "TBC". Hope all goes well for you. I also think the new storage system will take a bit of getting use to but at least it will be clean and easy to open!
Tracey
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:thumbup: Thanks Trish and Tracey for your replys, all info noted. Good idea about getting in touch with another local high school, are there any others near me having an upgrade, maybe if at different times we colud help each other out :thumbup:

cheers MariaC
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

YahooJust told a submission has been submitted for my 3 oldest labs and prep room to be upgraded
Then the thought struck me where am I going to store all my ready use chemicals in a racked out container but when we move back in, I will need at least 500 1L reagent bottles, at the moment I have a mixture of tapered glass stopper bottles but mostly old1L blood transfusion bottles from days before plastic packs.
What do modern labs use?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

:D Hi to all
Its been about a year since I have replied to any post. I am now at karabar High doing 4 day a week.
We were lucky to get all 6 labs refurbished but what a job.
I have managed to keep science running when the 4 labs where been done. Doing pracs and moving was a changelle
but now it nearly done. I am fortuntate enough to be recieving a new prep room with a dishwasher and lots of cupboards.
But during the move we fitted out the other 2 prep room with the best cupboards and doors etc we even moved a large glass display cabinet. no
way was I going to see it smashed. So with carefull planning and saving every thing we could. i have to say it all looks better.
But I think every lab assist needs a new prep room and I hope you all get one soon. So now it time to relocate again that means to
fix the data base of where things are.

Its true nobody ask me for my advice to on the design. which has also let to a limit of 8 station per room instead of the 12-15 we had .
2 labs are dry labs with limited of 2 working benches. the other 4 are full labs.
So if I can i may sent some photos for all to see
Lindy
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
If you want to see pic of the new upgrade just go to dept intranet and go to curriculum intarnet the click year 7 12 then science and then click on upgrade and see the pics
Noona :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Ocker wrote:YahooJust told a submission has been submitted for my 3 oldest labs and prep room to be upgraded
Then the thought struck me where am I going to store all my ready use chemicals in a racked out container but when we move back in, I will need at least 500 1L reagent bottles, at the moment I have a mixture of tapered glass stopper bottles but mostly old1L blood transfusion bottles from days before plastic packs.
What do modern labs use?
Hi Ocker,
I use these bottles (2L) free from the hospital. I find them extremely handy as they sit nicely on the shelves, are easy to carry and pour, don't break, and I can see when they need filling at a glance. I'm sure if you contacted John Hunter (assuming the 'Hamilton' you are in is the Newcastle one - are there any others?) it wouldn't take long for them to supply you with 500! Then you only need to worry about finding bottles for your stronger acids and bases (I keep up to 2M in these and have had no problems and just use winchesters for 4M solutions). Hope this helps, (and I hope the picture works! It's not the best photo but will give you an idea...)
Rosalie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

They're Brilliant! Just what I'm after! Thanks :thumbup:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi Rosalie, Those bottles look great, you don't know what department they came from do you? :coffee:
noona

Post by noona »

Hi Rosalie
What was in them before you got them :-o :-o as my daughter works at Westmead and she may be able to some I hope they are great :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Noona :clap3:
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Not sure what department they came from, but maybe pathology? I heard about them through Tina at Calrossy and then I got them through a school parent... some of the things that came in them are CO2 Acid Reagent, ISE Electrolyte Reference, ISE Electrolyte Buffer and Wash Concentrate II. They need to be washed several times before they 'come clean' (lots of bubbles come out of some of them - especially the wash one!). I hope this helps you out.
noona

Post by noona »

HI Rosalie
Thanks for that will show my daughter and see how it goes. :clap3: :clap3:
Noona
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Yes, Rosalie & Noona - we got them from the Pathology Dept at the Hospital.
They come with a variety of chemicals for their big testing machines, as Rosalie said.

Cleaning involves a lot of flushing, because of the surfectants included (lots of bubbles).

When I went up to get some bottles a couple of years back they happily gave me a huge bag full of empty bottle that took up the back seat of my car completely! Unfortunately they don't fit in my shelves and benches, so I've given a lot away.

The people at the hospital said they go through so many that they're happy to give them away and see them recycled.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Got in touch with Hospital and they recognised bottles immediatly but replaced that machine 3 years ago new machine uses round bottles they will give me a sample than need official request from school to save all future bottles for us, if suitable
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Guess there are some disadvantages for being in the city after all!! I guess we'll be ok for bottles in the country for a few more years yet...
HilzWA
State/Location: WA

Post by HilzWA »

Hello to you all
We have been reading your messages re Update of Science departments.Ha Ha.
We have just had 6 labs 2computer rooms and Prep Area done since Oct last year.
We had to pack EVERYTHING and store it in a Sea container.The whole science area was handed over to the builders and we have not been allowed entry since last Oct. We are presently housed in a storage room in another department. We have with us a few minor items that are being used regularly, and some equipment that staff requested. We did bring the chemicals, as we have a locking cupboard down here. This has given us a chance to do relabling and MSDS work. we are hoping to be allowed back into the department in 3 weeks then we have to unpack the container!!!!!!! This begs the question, Ladies and gentlemen, are we Lab Techs or removers. We did have a little help from the kids, but most of the work we had to do ourselves. We are having 6 different style Labs, one with Island benches with the taps gas sink and computer connections, sound good and we are looking forward to it. We have lost several large storage areas to accommodate renos, but they are giving us some Compactors that slide together dont know how they will work but will keep you informed.
We have thoroughly enjoyed reading your conversations, and have learnt heaps from you guys
Have a great Easter
Hilz
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I agree hilz,
My schools refurb sounds like it is at the same stage as yours. By my schedule calculations we may be finished in 20 working days.
On occassion I go into my shipping container and have a moment thinking 'o my god' I have to unpack all this stuff find room for it plus do my normal duties as well. When we were given 6 days to pack it up, it was all placed in -no sorting,no order- So my brain will have to work overtime while we become removalists. My GA will barely help as he says he has to much to do as it is. :boring:
Teachers don't help the mood much when they talk to me as if as soon as the builders hand it over pracs they have been waiting to do will happen straight away. :redcard:
I hurt my back packing it up, by god I'll not move those box's on my own unpacking. :mad: If nothing is offered in the way of help unpacking, I think that I will have to have a little talk with my principal. Teachers won't help! (mine won't anyway.)
But to really make you laugh the foreman asked me what were the chances of me working during the holidays, as if they get downstairs finished they want to start the upstairs labs. 8O
Will just see what happens. keep in touch.
Trish :D
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Now you're frightening me! There's lots of talk about getting new labs here, with my HOD & I being invited to provide "input" (oh joy). But the packing and moving part. AAAAAAGH! You can bet the Mr Filch, I mean our janitor, won't be helping me.
Cheers, K 8-)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

It seems the upgrades to the labs in our area ( northwest nsw) are getting closer. :clap3:
The work went to tender in late April with tenders closing 26th May. We have had people in taking photos and measurements etc and I managed to con one of them into letting me photocopy the plans for my prep room and adjoining labs.

From what I can see I get a dishwasher and double sink as well as a deep sink. There is a safety shower in my room ( no doubt without a drain but I should be able to do as someone else has done and get a hole cut to the quadrangle at floor level). I get a new double sided fume cupboard as well as a stand alone unit in the main chemistry lab.

We havent been told any likely starting dates, but I am starting to believe that it will really happen. \:D/

Wendy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

We had team here yesterday to look through and saw plans ect.Spoke regarding shower and i explained the shower had no drain in it. They told me not to worry and that they will make sure that it has a drain :clap3: :clap3: . They will be back again on Friday with the rest of the team and more measurments ect to be done.
We already had copy of plans and things so had list of questions ready to ask.
Got all the answers that I wanted and they seem to be very obliging with us.

KIMMY :clap3: :clap3: