Ammonium nitrate

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Ammonium nitrate

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,
I think this came up once before but what are people using instead of ammonium nitrate for year11 chem. (we can no longer purchase this.)

Helen
KimFenley

Re: Ammonium nitrate

Post by KimFenley »

Hi

you are able to purchase Ammonium Nitrate, but you can't hold more than 3kgs under the legistation before you MUST get a Licence. I've been able to buy it without any problems. I've had this out with the appropriate Authority at WorkCover.

Kim
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi!

How recently did you buy it and where did you get it from??

I ordered some recently from Serrata but was not supplied with it. They no longer stock it. When I contacted Silform chemicals the gentleman I spoke to said that no matter what quantity you buy, you require separate licences to buy it, use it, store it, ship it,import etc. Because of this and the small quantities required particularly by schools the licences cost more for them than actually selling it and would also not be worth it for the schools. He did say to contact the relevant government department, in NSW he thought Natural Resources and Mining(?) to find out for sure.

Lorrae
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Lorrae

It was 6 mths ago, and I think it was from SSA. Schools are exempt from a Licence up to 3KGs, but I think you hit the answer, and that it is too much of a headache. Having said that universities and other reseach organisations only buy small amounts, so must be available. My answer would be contact ChemSupply and they will provide you with someone who will. Ther've helped me in the past with difficult items.

Kim
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Just a quick update.
Just spoke to SSA they no longer sell this either. Apparently it has a new classification.

Lorrae
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi Cheltie,

If you were using ammonium nitrate to demonstrate an endothermic reaction try using potassium nitrate instead. Not as spectacularly effective as the ammonium nitrate but will still show temperature reduction.

Lyn
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thanks Lynda that is what we were doing so I will give that a go next time.
Helen