vic
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Peter Moyes ACS
Suburb: Mindarie
State/Location: WA

Chem. Stores

Post by vic »

Hey guys,

I have asked the grounds guys to make me some more shelves for the chem. Store, which is fine but the business manager has just told them not to do this because soon we wont be able to store our chemicals on wood with the anti corrosion/anti scratch coating stuff on it…… :evil:

Ok….my question what the hell are we meant to use then???? As far as I know we can’t use metal, are we meant to put it on some top of the range plastic stuff or maybe we could get granite shelving like kitchen bench tops… :mrgreen:

Has anyone heard anything about this??

A little help to my problem would be great as I need the extra shelving space!!!!!!

thanks heaps
vic
:D
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chem. Stores

Post by Labbie »

We have only wooden shelves, we put a slab of glass down, then the items on top. Old pieces of glass, or even a glass tray. We have our Class 8 in glass trays on wooden shelves, its the best we can do for now.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
vic
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Peter Moyes ACS
Suburb: Mindarie
State/Location: WA

Post by vic »

thanks for the hint. :grin:

I rang worksafe and they said that the melamine shelves in the store are fine and he has know idea were the buisness manager got this idea from.

vic :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Would I be cynical in suggesting that perhaps the Gov't Grants do not come through until the beginning of the year and so in November/December ANYTHING that costs money would be unsuitable according to a business manager! I was told this morning that our "Books are Closed" and I am not allowed to spend ANY money until January!!

regards
Ian :-(
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Ian

You should be able to spend money again after the financial rollover at the end of November, but it will be next year's money. Our school closes the books at the beginning of November so there shouldn't be any outstanding accounts during the rollover. [-o<

Cheers
Julie :coffee:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Perhaps this thread would help, New shelves in Chem store.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We have lead shelves on top of the wooden ones... wonder what the safety issue would be with so much lead exposed???
i like the glass idea..
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

I know the University down here store some chemicals on wooden shelves but in plastic cat litter type trays. We have a combination of shelves some glass with wire through it, some varnished wood ones and some Melamine type ones.