and any other non-chem subjects.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Antibiotic master rings

Post by Labbie »

Morning folks,

I am after some Antiliotic suscept disc, I can only see Southrn Biological doing them. Has any one had a problem, with these disc's, I do not know too much about them.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
JudyM

Re: Antibiotic master rings

Post by JudyM »

Hi Pommy,

We've been using Mastrings from Southern Bio for a few years now with no problems at all.
I store them in the fridge & the last packet of 50 I received lasted for about 3 years.

Good luck
Judy
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Great, thanks so much.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
hel

Post by hel »

Hi Sue,

We use the Southern Biological rings as well. Last time I had a set that we had had 12 months & a brand new batch which the students used. The results were the same as for the old & new so they seem to be able to be stored for a significant amount of time in the fridge.
:thumbup:
Hel
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

My bio teacher insists on using the proper rings from Southern Biological, but one of the labbies at a Labbie course I went to uses peppercorn broth for her culture and then SIMULATES the antibiotis rings by soaking a small circle of filter paper in "Homebrand" antiseptic. Apparently it works well and is MUCH cheaper!

Ian
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Yes I've heard of this too, but haven't tried it. We used some old discs (they were here when I started so don't know how old) and they didn't work, so had to buy more. Will try the cheaper option next time.
:coffee:
Julie
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

What are these things used for??? First time I heard about them. Can someone enlighten me please... :?
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

I've also heard about the peppercorn infusion & will give it a go next time.(If I can find the recipe!)
We do both experiments Ian, but for different years.

The prac using filter paper circles soaked in different antiseptics is one we do with Y9. Usually Betadine, Dettol, Honey & Tea Tree Oil.
The other one using the Mastrings is done by Year 12 Bio & determines the effectiveness of 6 antibiotics. We use 2 separate cultures for both pracs & usually get good results. Depending on how much attention they paid during the demo, of course :?

Cheers
Judy
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Sassi wrote:What are these things used for??? First time I heard about them. Can someone enlighten me please... :?
I'm not sure of the exact instructions for the prac, but loosely explained, the discs are used to inhibit the growth of bacteria on agar plates.

Julie