Dishwashers

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Dishwashers

Post by RosalieM »

I did my first load of glassware in my newly installed dishwasher yesterday - beautiful sparkling beakers!! The test tubes came up pretty good too :) No breakages, the dishwasher was quiet enough to not worry about it disturbing classes, and I can do so much in the time it takes to run a cycle! When I saw how much I could fit in the dishwasher, I figure the time it would take me to wash them all individually was about the same time the dishwasher took - if not longer. I can only imagine how much more 'on top of things' i will feel now that I have this small luxury.
Rosalie :)
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Good for you Rosalie, it will help lighten the load a little bit now.
I had to fight for a dishwasher at my last school as the HoD thought it was a "frivolous purchase" (his exact words). The registrar kindly got one for me as a parting gift when she transferred. Here I have a dishwasher but no drying racks - in the labs or the prep room. Wonder which bright spark didn't think that one through! I successfully applied for a glassware drying cabinet last year and it was installed about three weeks ago. I have around 120 chem students performing 4 individual prac assessments, including titrations, so it's going to be a great help in keeping students supplied with clean, dry glassware. It's also going to be great to lean against on those cold winter mornings!
As we all know, having the right equipment to work with makes a job that much easier, more enjoyable and often, less hazardous. As a group we seem to be pretty low on the pecking order when it comes to making 'our lot' a bit easier, and for many schools, I don't see it improving anytime soon unfortunately.
Cheers,
Fran
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Boy! Do I know what you mean Rosalie!

I just had my dishwasher installed about 3 weeks ago and I'm in love :wub: !!!!! I think I am having an affair...

Yessiree, just give me any washing up now, me an' my pal can handle anything!

Lou P.
coxy

Post by coxy »

I'm sorry you guys. What is this thing called "Dishwasher"? I have not heard of one of these items. If it was from either of the last two centuries I would surely know of it. In my Prep room, I stand at my sink, look at the draining racks, and insert brush into about 100 testtubes per day, if not more. Then I go downstairs to the prep room there, and guess what they used today, every damned testtube in their labs, another hour or so, slaving over a hot sink, sticking brushes into testtubes, and placing them carefully on the racks. Then I look at some of the orders for later tomorrow, everyone wants testtubes. How can this be? Again I ask, what is this thing called "dishwasher"!
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Thats' probably the single most important reason for having one Coxy! Glassware turnover! Hit them up for one as you clearly need it.

The T & D Directorate 'Science job skills for school assistants working in science' manual even goes as far as to state it is one of the most important tools of the trade to us labbies!

Approach it from an oh & s point of view so the money doesn't get spent on biscuits for the office staff instead.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I wrote a pleading letter to the P&C for the money to pay for my dishwasher. [-o< They were happy to oblige. I entertain them regularly with my literary skills, and as a result I now have a new dishwasher, new lifesize human skeleton, new van De Graaff machine. I've even been recruited on the sly by other faculties to plead for things that they need. I should charge a fee!! :lol:

Julie
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

I cut my hand last year washing up glassware and required four stitches. As someone had said then and I say now, Workcover sees the amount of glassware to be washed up as a hazard and realistically should be done in a dishwasher thus reducing the risk of serious injury.

Maybe try that angle with your HOD, you never know the fear of being proven negligent can motivate people to do the right thing!

Here's hoping to you!
Lou.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Yes, a good accident will get things moving nicely. Don't go out and have one though, just point out the potential risk.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
lita*

Post by lita* »

I'm still using the rubber gloves. Bring on Kitchen upgrades!!!!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Ah well! Here's another posting to keep you laughing. Had two new dishwashers installed in the past two weeks. One on each campus. Followed all the tips for sparkling glassware (thank you Richard and all the others out there). One machine buzzed a bit too loud for my liking and got a tad hot which was a bit concerning. Late Easter Friday I'm browsing the local newspaper and buried in the small columns there was an excerpt that dishwashers could be a potential fire hazard ( the brand that I just had installed) so I drove into work Saturday morning (a half hour drive) and got the property manager to turn off the alarm system so I could unplug the dishwashers so I could have science labs to go to on the following Tuesday. So now I sit looking at my dishwashers for which I have waited at least ten years and have to wait another two weeks before the Electrolux man can come to check them out. Have been warned not to use them until then. Love kitchen upgrades. Now, if they were only fireproof!!!!!
Lyn.

PS. You've got to have a sense of humour to be in this job.