Microwave

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Microwave

Post by Labbie »

I have been given the go ahead for a new Microwave, for the prep room, to help with Agar and other items. As I had 6 weeks off with a damaged ankle, I plan to go shopping for the microwave on Tuesday. Any thing I should look for in a microwave for the lab. I know some of you have some great ideas. Size, watt etc.

Look forward to your ideas.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Re: Microwave

Post by J »

Hi Sue

My microwave came out with the ark, so has no special bells and whistles, but it still serves the purpose nicely. The only thing I would suggest you look for is height. 700-800ml beakers usually fit in ok, but sometimes it is better to use a conical or round flask, with a longer neck, and it's a nuisance when you prepare your agar or whatever in a flask and then remember that it won't quite fit! :? :mad:
So I recommend you look for the tallest available in your price range.

J
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

What's the biggest pizza you plan to put in it? Oh, and consider height for glassware! Mine fits a 2x 500ml conical flasks in it for agar melting. Not as impressive as a Dutch Oven mind!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Yes I agree with Richard. Get something that your glassware will fit in, not like the the one that is sitting here near me as I am typing this, that you can fit a bowl in and thats about it. I mean I can fit 500ml flasks in it if I take the turntable out.