Food technology ordering program

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Anastasia
State/Location: NSW

Food technology ordering program

Post by Anastasia »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is an equivalent to RiskAssess for Food Technology? How does the Food Tech assistant at your school keep track of orders/prep for practical classes?

Any info would be appreciated
Anastasia
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Food technology ordering program

Post by Merilyn1 »

There is nothing similar for Food Tech as far as I'm aware.
I think most F/Techies rely on a paper system. For a brief time, I did a bit of F/T once and I set up spreadsheets which would list the ingredients, what each group would need and then total how much I needed to buy. I even included how much, say, a cup of sugar weighed and then automatically converted cups to kilograms etc.
On a positive, a lot of experienced teachers will order a long way in advance or for Year 7&8 they do the same pracs every year so the assistant has a fair bit of time to plan. But then they have to be organised, they can't just go to the chem store to get their ingredients!
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

We use OneNote for the orders. The teacher has her timetable set up and then types what pracs she wants in the period she wants. I access this everyday. I also have tabs set up for prac costs and quantities. Like Merilyn, I convert cups to grams or tablespoons to cups and also keep a record of quantities ie a 250ml jar of tomato paste has 7T in it or 1kg icing sugar equals 8 cups. All this is done through OneNote.
In regards to a risk assessment, we have SOPs on equipment.
As my role encompasses science/food tech/WHS, I wouldn't want to be without my PCard. So much easier to purchase what is needed and I can shop at any store or online anytime.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

RiskAssess has a lot of ingredients listed. I m trying to get the food tech teachers to use it and just ignore the "not to be consumed" phrase or whatever it is that comes up...
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

mazcheck wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:51 We use OneNote for the orders. The teacher has her timetable set up and then types what pracs she wants in the period she wants. I access this everyday. I also have tabs set up for prac costs and quantities. Like Merilyn, I convert cups to grams or tablespoons to cups and also keep a record of quantities ie a 250ml jar of tomato paste has 7T in it or 1kg icing sugar equals 8 cups. All this is done through OneNote.
In regards to a risk assessment, we have SOPs on equipment.
As my role encompasses science/food tech/WHS, I wouldn't want to be without my PCard. So much easier to purchase what is needed and I can shop at any store or online anytime.
I am interested to hear more about how this works. Our school uses OneNote but I haven't really needed to use it for anything. This sounds so much easier than the teachers emailing me (which is what they are currently doing and why I'm trying to get them to use RiskAssess instead) as once the emails are read they are easily lost (even though I put them in folders etc and try to keep them organised. I haven't missed any cooking classes yet but I have come close!)
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

We are a very small school so these things are a lot simpler here.
Our Food Tech teachers meet with the FT assistant once a week and they work out what each prac lesson will be doing and what will be needed. It doesn't take long because there is only one combined 9/10 class, one Year 7 class, 2 Year 8 classes and 1 Hospitality class.
We lead the simple life :clap3: 8-) :coffee: