weirdest things

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Re: weirdest things

Post by Loopy »

My local Woolies always say that if I like I can buy aspro in several transactions in the one visit. They are happy to do it this way because of course they know I buy them for science. Maybe your Woolies will do this for you?
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
superbug

Post by superbug »

maybe my local wolies is a bit slack then as I never get asked anything when I purchase it.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

i use a school account, and you need to spend 20 or 30 minimum to use it (depends who is on the register), not sure how it would go doing 3 transactions on one invoice for school?
And dammit, i forgot to get a packet to replace one that has been ordered :-/
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

I got an alert at the self checkout because I was buying a packet of plastic knives. Yes I am over 18, but seriously they're made of plastic...

For the molar mass of butane I have to buy many individual cigarette lighters, and the Woolies lady gave me some very suspicious looks. They also flat out refused to sell me cigarettes (yes for a prac), I think they thought I was a student! Well I had no problem taking my business to the tobacconist two doors down, and they had no problem taking my (the school's) money.

I think the one that draws the most comments is when we stock up for building mousetrap racers. The Bunnings checkout person always asks about our pest problem when I buy 50 mousetraps at once!
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi,
What year group and what else do they use for the mousetrap racers? Sounds like fun.
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

Rita wrote:Hi,
What year group and what else do they use for the mousetrap racers? Sounds like fun.
It's based on a Double Helix activity but CSIRO has messed their website around so I can't find it anymore. I found a similar activity at this link: http://www.macmillan.com.au/mea/downloa ... 229745.pdf (warning large PDF). It involves a car with wheels made of CDs and milk bottle lids, axels made of dowel (or skewers, which we are trying this year with a different sort of wheel), another piece of dowel to attach to the mouse trap as a lever, and string wound around the back axel. The force of the mousetrap pulls the string, turning the wheel.

We use it as an investigation activity for Year 7, they adjust their designs and iterate on them. It lasts several weeks, which can be a hassle.
superbug

Post by superbug »

I have never been picked up on buying anything no matter what quantities. I just tell them too put it on my account and it seems i can buy anything, bulk aspro, plastic knives, multiple packets of matches you name it, if they sell it I can buy it.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I was buying food dye, amongst other things, for science and because there were not enough bottles of red dye I threw in a bottle of cochineal (which is red). The register came up with an alert. Turns out there is 18% alcohol content in the bottle of cochineal food dye. As if I would slip out into the carpark and sit in my car drinking it. :yuck: Anyhow as it turns out several years down the track it is still sitting in my chemical store unopened. Anyone with some bright ideas for putting it to use, scientifically of course.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I am getting very tired and annoyed at our paternalistic nanny state.. No matter what you do or try there is someone to tell you you can't or to check you out.. and 99% of us are decent law-abiding people jsut going about our daily life.. Why are we being more and more restricted by legislation ?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Because stupid people do stupid things and apparently need to be protected from their own stupidity. Natural selection be damned!
superbug

Post by superbug »

I was buying a chemical, I think it was sodium thiosulfate from a company in Qld when I got this email that I had to photocopy my licence and sign a declaration which was to be sent to the Qld police dept in order to get my chemical. Needless to say I cancelled the order for the chemical. (couldnt be bothered). I then ordered it from a company in NSW or Vic no issues.
anyone else have this issue or know why this is the case in some states?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

With the LMBR program, we can only order through the SAP Program attached to the LMBR Program. If they do not have it in SAP, its a whole load of work, to purchase it. Like matches, No one sells them on SAP, but they are still needed. Why do I need 8 cartons of matches, its a real joke.
So I know how you feel superbug.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

superbug wrote:I was buying a chemical, I think it was sodium thiosulfate from a company in Qld when I got this email that I had to photocopy my licence and sign a declaration which was to be sent to the Qld police dept in order to get my chemical. Needless to say I cancelled the order for the chemical. (couldnt be bothered). I then ordered it from a company in NSW or Vic no issues.
anyone else have this issue or know why this is the case in some states?
superbug, I recently ordered some sodium metal and some calcium carbide, can't remember where from, and my HT had to fill out a form, noting her home address and driver's licence number. I was happy for her to do it :thumbup:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
superbug

Post by superbug »

remlap12, yes I gave the form to my boss and we both laughed and said as if!!

So your boss filled it in?
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

has anyone had any luck buying BORAX powder?
On the current tub i have it says 'in the laundry aisle' I have been up and down woolworths, different woolworths and cant see it.
Is it something like Junket, that i would more likely find in IGA?
superbug

Post by superbug »

If you go to their website or call them it tells you where they sell in your local area. I bought heaps from IGA after contacting them. woolies doesn't sell it anymore.
I hope that helps.
oh and by the way I buy jucket from woolies it is in the powered pudding isle.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I get borax from Bunnings :)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

borax - TRY bUNNINGS
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

superbug wrote:remlap12, yes I gave the form to my boss and we both laughed and said as if!!

So your boss filled it in?
Yes superbug, she filled it in, she was a little bemused but she did it! Hey I thought the buck stops with her so they can have her details. :giggle:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

THANKS - we also have an account at bunnings - will send the GA.