Disabled Access to labs

for anything else that doesn't fit.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Disabled Access to labs

Post by linotas »

Asking for a local Lab tech.

Has anyone made or needed to make mods to lab benches to take into account students permanently in wheel chairs etc ?
Or what is your approach/policy on this situation?

Ta
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Disabled Access to labs

Post by Labbie »

Our one lowers by a handle.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

We have a bench in each lab that can be lowered/raised and the sink drain is flexible so it can move with the adjustment. So far no one has needed to use any of them. I think they have a similar one in Food Tech.
J
Trex57
Job Title: Science Operations Officer
School: Moranbah State High School
Suburb: Moranbah
State/Location: QLD

Post by Trex57 »

One of our benches and sink lower with a handle to accommodate someone in a wheel chair.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

NOPE..they put one lab in another building so it was at ground level, the demountable lab they put a ramp to it..but that is it! The Disabled Toilets are used by the cleaners to store their gear. We hav eonly just gor a lift because we have a new building.. but once in the classes there is no accommodation made fro anyone in a wheelchair. I don't think the doors are wide enough either.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

We have a crazy amount of ramps all around the school. I think the doors would be wide enough but haven't put it to the test. Considering the amount of money spent on ramps and guide rails and tactile paving for visually impaired, how crazy would it be if the doors are not wide enough?! :crazy: 8O :crazy:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Just did some research - doors have to be 850mm CLEAR width.. so our class doors to all but one lab ar wide enough.. the prep room doors are definitely not, they are not even normal door width..
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

I have one lab that has an adjustable bench height with sink which is used for one student (non-wheelchair reasons). Apparently in the next building stage we are getting a chem lab with an adjustable fume cupboard????
Jody1
Job Title: Allrounder
School: Casula High School (currently)
Suburb: Casula

Post by Jody1 »

Considering I am currently working at a Government school, it is interesting that we have no disable access whatsoever. The campus is on multiple levels and has stairs absolutely everywhere! They have actually had to turn students in wheelchairs away, even though they are in-area kids because of no access. Apparently it would cost a fortune to retro-fit the school, so it's a no go. It's interesting though, I've not thought about the benches and sinks etc and them being adjustable. I've worked at a few schools and I can't recall any of them having those accommodations for wheelchair students.
Jody :D