Find a GHS labeled product challenge

for anything else that doesn't fit.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Find a GHS labeled product challenge

Post by bigmack »

I've been wondering how serious the manufacturers and suppliers are about all this GHS stuff . In the last month I have received 7 chemicals between the two schools I'm at and IIRC only 1 was in GHS format.

So I wondered about domestic Chemicals .I had a pretty good look in the cleaning section of our supermarket and couldn't find a single product with GHS labels .

I have finally found one \:D/ . A can of Chain lube in the shed imported from France . It has Hazard and Precautionary statements , ingredients and signal word in several languages .

Free pair of glasses to the last one to spot the Signal word :cheesy:
Chain lube GHS symbols.jpg
Chain lube phrases.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

Re: Find a GHS labeled product challenge

Post by superbug »

I believe that a lot of other countries have had GHS in for quite a while now. we in Australia are behind in that, to us it is something new.
Louise

Post by Louise »

I have cut and pasted this information from safeworkaustralia.gov.au
:cheesy:

DUAL USE PRODUCTS
Some hazardous chemicals may be intended for supply to both the consumer household
markets and workplaces in identical containers and packaging. These products are
sometimes referred to as dual use products. A dual use product label need only comply
with the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP) labelling
requirements. If the manufacturer or importer determines that the use handling and storage
of the product are predominantly related to a work activity, the label must meet WHS
requirements.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES
Food and beverage products that are packaged in a form intended for consumption do
not require labelling under the WHS Regulations. However, large or bulk quantities must be
labelled to meet workplace requirements. For example, a 1000 L container of flammable
alcoholic spirits must be labelled to meet WHS requirements, while a 750 mL bottle of the
same spirits does not.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I was told on PD last week that it will be illegal to accept any chemical that is not correctly labelled according to GHS (above examples excluded) and that it should be sent straight back to the supplier (who could be fined as it will be illegal for them to sell such a product) Will be interesting how many try and find a loophole.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Who's paying for the return of the product. As most public schools are on very tight budget that's a cost that we don't need.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Hi Linotas,
It is not illegal yet to accept products not labeled with GHS. This will come into effect Jan 2017. Manufacturers in NSW can still sell products without a GHS label until this date. But come January It is then illegal.
So don't know if you could send them back....
Merilyn1
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

After January 17 you could send them back at the supplier's expense. The code of practice for labelling (p.5) says that the "supplier must not supply a hazardous chemical...if the supplier knows, or ought to reasonably know, that the chemical is not correctly labelled".

Before then, they still fall under the phase in period.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

At my other school I am training up a new Labbie .I found the Container of Copper Sulfate that come from SSA with a GHS label so I could show her what they look like and the important stuff that needs to go on a GHS label .

Guess what...it had no signal word on it :clap3: ....there is no hope
linotas

Post by linotas »

Merilyn1 wrote:After January 17 you could send them back at the supplier's expense. The code of practice for labelling (p.5) says that the "supplier must not supply a hazardous chemical...if the supplier knows, or ought to reasonably know, that the chemical is not correctly labelled".

Before then, they still fall under the phase in period.
Yes sorry for the ambiguity, this is what I meant. From Jan 2017 it is illegal and as for the cost, that would be the responsibility of the sender. If they quibbled over it, you get worksafe involved (or threaten to). The rules are very clear.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Threatening to get worksafe involved would be enough to wake them up!
linotas

Post by linotas »

Merilyn1 wrote:Threatening to get worksafe involved would be enough to wake them up!
Yes, I have done this in the past and would not hesitate to do it again. Even our WHS compliance officer has done it. In his case it was because building contractors were repeatedly ignoring some safety requirements (working at height without appropriate equipment)
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Interesting - in NSW if we have contractors not complying with legislation, we are obliged to discontinue the contract. Basically ask them to mend their ways immediately, or ask them to leave.