PERFORMANCE AND DEVELOPMENT PLANS

for anything else that doesn't fit.
vickir
State/Location: NSW

PERFORMANCE AND DEVELOPMENT PLANS

Post by vickir »

A question for lab assistants that currently work in NSW DET schools. Has anyone started the Performance and Development Plan process? If so, is the SAM or Head Teacher classified as the PDP Supervisor? By the way, I have not been approached by either the SAM or HT regarding this, I have familarised myself through information published in ScholBiz and information forwarded from the PSA.

Thanks
Laverne

Re: PERFORMANCE AND DEVELOPMENT PLANS

Post by Laverne »

We have had a staff meeting on it. We were given the appropriate forms, information etc. I am presuming the SAM is the PDP supervisor but I could be wrong. I have also familiarised myself what was on Schoolbiz and information from the PSA.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Hi, we have a large SASS staff so our SAM is supervising the admin staff, my HOD is supervising me & the TAS HOD is supervising the Kitchen Assistant. I think the librarian is supervising the library assistant. Our SAM is proactive so she had us all ready to go, with the info we need as soon as it came to hand.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

The SAM is my supervisor here. We were given the forms to fill out and pretty much left to our own devices...... Not a whole lot of support here, and if I ask I feel like I'm being a nuisance! So I wrote what I thought was relevant for me..........
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Our SAM is our supervisor and I'm attending some training with her next month. Until then just keeping up with what comes out in emails and in Schoolbiz.
vickir

Post by vickir »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The Head Teacher, Learning & Support (for teachers) has approached my SAM (she is in charge of professional development for SAS staff) but apparently she was very negative, all her time is being taken up with LMBR at the moment. My school has advertised for a new principal, so my head teacher will approach that person and SAM when he/she has been appointed. I certainly will be keeping all information that has been published on SchoolBiz and info from the PSA.

I wish that my SAM was approachable, positive and treated me the same way as the office staff.....
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

We are definitely the forgotten SAS staff vickir! The kitchen lady, the library lady and the office staff are all getting some training in the LMBR.....not me..... Ah well, I'll just continue to live under the stairs, haha!
Regards
remlap12
vickir

Post by vickir »

Certainly are Remlap12! I would have liked to be offered training in LMBR. However, if and when I am asked to do a PDP, that will will be one of my goals (heaven to forbid, I can't wait to see the reaction of the SAM).

Fourteen years ago when I was a casual I was asked to work in Science (LSL replacement) of course with no training (because I'm sure the SAM thinks all I do is wash beakers and test tubes and get a 'few' pracs ready) and I have been here ever since. I'm not complaining about Science, because I have a great HT and Science teachers. But sometimes would like to be treated like I don't live under a mushroom, I can go for weeks and the SAM doesn't even speak to me and I would say in the 14 years I've worked in Science she has been to my prep room 6 times.

Sorry for the whinge, just feeling a bit down at them moment.....
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

I hear you vickir!
I've been in science for 3 years, also with no training, and none of the office ladies have ever been to my prep rooms......I don't think they even know where we are!! When I first started here, one of the office ladies said to me she doesn't go out into that "hostile environment" meaning the school grounds!!!!!!
Regards
remlap12
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

PDP

Post by kimmy »

Ok who has done a PDP and what are some of the goals you have set for yourself.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kim :coffee:
Samantham

Re: PDP

Post by Samantham »

sorry but what does PDP stand for?
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Performance and Development Plan
Laverne

Post by Laverne »

My goals were when I did mine last year was working towards retirement.
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

I've done a couple in this job and in others, in my opinion its just a way to set yourself up to fail and get into trouble for not completing it. I suggest setting very small goals or goals that you had already planned to achieve, like if you annually clean the bunsen burners or the microscopes, set that down, making sure you have well beyond the time you actually need to complete it. It also depends on why you have to do it, you could either be asked to do it because the boss believes you are having performance issues and not doing enough or the boss just wants to make the business look good by showing that his employees are performing beyond their duties and are growing as individuals. Are there certain categories you need to have goals for? One I had to do that wasn't in a school, had 5 categories; duty performance, interaction with colleagues, personal development, personal goals, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

French polishing, was one of mine, front office had no idea what that was. Basic repair work, was another, also I was asked did I wish to learn any other work in front office, NO was my answer. I did put down spread sheet, as I used it in my work, safe signs,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Samantham wrote:I've done a couple in this job and in others, in my opinion its just a way to set yourself up to fail and get into trouble for not completing it. I suggest setting very small goals or goals that you had already planned to achieve, like if you annually clean the bunsen burners or the microscopes, set that down, making sure you have well beyond the time you actually need to complete it. It also depends on why you have to do it, you could either be asked to do it because the boss believes you are having performance issues and not doing enough or the boss just wants to make the business look good by showing that his employees are performing beyond their duties and are growing as individuals. Are there certain categories you need to have goals for? One I had to do that wasn't in a school, had 5 categories; duty performance, interaction with colleagues, personal development, personal goals, etc.
The whole school, teachers, GA, Farm Assist and all SASS have to do these. yes iv done mine very basic. I am very lucky as I have a great SAM who works with me to achieve anything that I feel I and the school will benefit from.
melsid

Post by melsid »

This year I will be putting CONASTA as a goal on my PDP, that way when I fill out the VOR I can directly relate it back to my PDP! That reminds me, ours are due my the end of next week, better get it filled out!!!
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

I looked at the Consta conference. It looked like it was more for teachers than labbies. Have you been before? Was it relevant?
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

PDP....LOL .....Another layer of pointless Bureaucratic bollocks to take time away from the important things that need doing
Whoops . I thought this was the little whinge thread
melsid

Post by melsid »

One and the same me thinks!
Never been to Conasta, but I'm keen, especially if the school pays for me to go or I win free registration from ASET!