for anything else that doesn't fit.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemwatch have done it again

Post by Lorikeet »

nickykinz wrote:Lorikeet, do you have a location on there? I really like the idea but wasn't sure if you needed to have locations in the manifest too. This can be multiple places as we have a senior prep room and a middle years prep room plus bulk chemicals and class sets in different places.
Hey Nicky - yes i added about 1/2 dozen columns on the end ...

Brand of Chemical
Quantity Container Size
Date Checked
SDS (this is a hyperlink to the PDF)
Date SDS revised
Disposal Method

Hope this helps
With thanks Kate :coffee:
vickir

Post by vickir »

Hi Kate

I think it's a great idea to hyperlink to the SDS PDF. Can I ask a question, if you don't mind? The PDF that you have hyperlinked to in Chemwatch, will the print date change to the date that you print that PDF? Or does it stay at the date that you hyperlinked it in your spreadsheet. I hope that you understand what I mean.

Thanks.

Vicki
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Lorikeet wrote:I would drop it like a hot potato and go to excel or something much more reliable and less time consuming ..
Been there and done that! Best thing ever!
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

20 more in mine as of this morning.....
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

ELIZABETH wrote:20 more in mine as of this morning.....
Thanks Elizabeth , I was hoping it wasn't just me .

If you like I will PM you the nice lady at Chemwatch's Email as I'm sure if more of us officially notify them that they may pull finger and sort this out before we all have more work than we need to sort out .
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

vickir wrote:Hi Kate

I think it's a great idea to hyperlink to the SDS PDF. Can I ask a question, if you don't mind? The PDF that you have hyperlinked to in Chemwatch, will the print date change to the date that you print that PDF? Or does it stay at the date that you hyperlinked it in your spreadsheet. I hope that you understand what I mean.

Thanks.

Vicki
Hi Vicki - No i have hyperlinked the SDS into my chemical manifest in EXCEL - I loathe chemwatch ... I then have the column in excel conditionally formatted that it turns ORANGE 2 months before SDS expires and turns RED once the SDS is expired ... Meaning find the new one ... Kindest
With thanks Kate :coffee:
vickir

Post by vickir »

Thanks Kate!
ELIZABETH

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Richard
I've had a chat to ChemWatch and it's being sorted.......
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I have a chemical register excel link from DEECD, which a OHS consultant gave me instead of using Chemwatch
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Well I did switch to XL but today I looked at our manifest on Chemwatch and there were approx 180 random entries in the Science section alone .
What is more frustrating is that almost all Chemicals are listed as Multiple vendor and so I can't even edit the amounts anymore .I was told that they must have been setup that way when Chemicals were first entered .I can't comment on that as I did not enter them originally .....but I have always been able to edit them before .....something changed them .

Apparently , I have to select a particular vendor for each Chemical so I can then edit them . I tried to do this for the first 6 out of approx 250 and it took me over an hour and a half with Chemwatch freezing several times and needing to be reloaded .

I phoned Chemwatch support and mentioned that this issue was talked about on This forum a few years ago but the problem has not been rectified .
I was asked to provide a link to this forum ...I guess so they can see the history.

So i'm curious is still just me ?
Elizabeth , did yours get sorted or is still playing up ?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

If you have switched to Excel, do you need to worry about Chemwatch? I just deleted all of our manifest on Chemwatch so if anyone were to look there is nothing there and therefore no confusion. Having two Registers could create confusion. But, I know there are some schools which have been told they MUST use Chemwatch. I'm ready for the argument if ever they try to do that here!
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Chemwatch can be useful for adding new things to my XL spreadsheet . Particularly for the rest of the school . If I add a chemical in Chemwatch , say "Blitzem snail pellets" , them print a report on that chemical , it comes over with all the GHS and DG info I chose and I can copy and paste it instead of having to laboriously enter it by hand from the SDS.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

This might help - for small quantities of hazardous chemicals, we only need to keep a Register which Safework says is a list of chemicals stored on-site along with a copy of the relevant safety data sheet. I have spoken to Safework NSW and they recommended stating where the chemical is stored (makes sense). So all the stuff about GHS classification and DG classes isn't needed, legally. I do believe some schools systems have additional requirements, but the guidance from Safework is what I have to follow. I do include extra information, but I don't get carried away.

Two documents worth looking at: Safework Australia "Hazardous Chemicals Register" Information Sheet. Or if you feel like a real good read, Safework NSW has a Code of Practice "Managing Risks of Hazardous Chemicals in the Workplace", specifically p. 13.

And remember, the Chemical Register only has to include hazardous chemicals, so don't worry about things like PVA glue, kids paints etc. I do include all my chemicals from Science, regardless of them being hazardous or not. But I've put my foot down chasing up SDSs for other faculties for their benign products. If they want SDSs they can get them themselves.

Oh, and consumer products are exempted from the register. A consumer product is any product purchased from a shop, in small quantities that will be used in accordance with the label. Of course if students are involved with the use of the product, I'd probably include it as I could never be sure they will use it correctly!
ELIZABETH

Post by ELIZABETH »

Mine plays up every now and then, after I spent a ridiculous amount of time cleaning it up!! I sometimes still get the multiple suppliers thing even when I've selected the right supplier.
I'm on record (a broken one, at that) as calling Chemwatch a huge pain in the proverbial and completely unsuited to our needs!!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I agree 100% elizabeth. The DoE needs to get a good system.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: