Radiation sources

and any other non-chem subjects.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Radiation sources

Post by dolphinscales »

Just curious to how many schools out there have radioactive sources at their school and if so what
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: Radiation sources

Post by Lis »

We have alpha (polonium), beta(strontium), and gamma(cobalt 60S), they are very small amounts,we got them from serrata.I wrap in lead foil and store in a locked cash box. they dont get used all that often
cheer Lisa
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We have the same as Lis, think it came with the school back in 1961.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

We also have gamma (Cobalt 60), alpha (Americium 241, radium 226) and beta (cesium 137).
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

We have caesium and americium - the older needle type that would have come with our cloud chamber, circa 50's??, and they still work well for that experiment.

Also 'newer' disc type versions of radium, cobalt and strontium, that look like the ones you can buy new, but ours must be over 10 years old, and the cobalt gives very little reaction.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

We have similar, but what concerns me is
Is there some licencing to have these and some accounting because apparently 1 of our sources went missing ( according to a teacher ) and as they were not individually listed just "raidoactive isotapes" I can't say yes or No And don't want to take responsibility for these without some better system
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Ocker - ours were just bundled into a cash box, and obviously had been like that for years.

I've organised and labelled everything, researched and printed out information, learnt out to store them, etc.

Now I'm the one who gets them, mostly helps with the prac, then returns them each time.

Check your CSIS, there's some good info in there: Section 3 (curriculum support documents, pg 37)
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We have the alpha, beta, Gamma sources.. I keep them in a container I bought from Serrata... I asked them about the safety and asked for a MSDS for them.. they assured me that the samll amount we buy, and the few times they are used, they are not a Hazard... my HOD agreed.
I also found out from him that the alpha source only lasts about 6 months ..... after that you get no response... so I am now only going to purchase that just before we are about to use it!
Rickerby
State/Location: WA

Post by Rickerby »

The radioactive sources allowed in WA schools are listed in the DET Science Laboratory Manual in the Physics section.
I have mine stored in a radioactive pot that I purchased when I bought the sources and that is locked in a cash box lined with several sheets of lead in a locked store room.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Ours (americum, caesium and cobalt-60) is kept in a chemical cabinet, labelled 'radioactive", and is locked at all times and only one person who knows where the key is, ME!
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

This is quite an interesting topic - I was just in the Physics store - I call it my bones and rocks room and looked up at the cardboard box labelled "Radioactive - store 1 metre away from other materials" and wondered what was in it and what it could be doing to my bones and rocks. Perhaps I'd better have a look!

Patti 8-[
The Search Engine
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

has anyone heard from patty today?
She was about to look inot pandora's box yesterday! :-(
Perhaps she has become invisible - or glows green ..or can fly like Superman!
Patty patty where are you?????
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello Pam!
Fortunately I made it out of the bones and rocks room alive! Liz will be pleased to know I carefully read page 37 before heading downstairs.

Donned disposable gloves and my kryptonite tie dyed lab coat and grabbed hold of the cardboard box.
Fortunately it contained a locked metal box (with key in the lock of course!) among other things like a pile of aluminium and lead foil, someone's notes on taxonmy, a petri dish, a brass rod, some plastic tubing and a large metal spring ????

Inside the metal box was more foil and some radioactive sources - 6 disc thingies and two rod looking thingies (love this technical terminology).

There was an old typed label on the box - as in on a typewriter it was that old - that indicated what should be in there.
Generally relieved that the baddies were in a metal box I have left them there to await more detailed cataloguing (Lizzie B style).
Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Patti
The Search Engine
ri

Radioactive source storage

Post by ri »

Hi All,
does anyone know if there is a safe storage box for radioactive sources out there yet??
We have always used a petty cash tin lined with lead, however upon testing the box with a geiger counter, there is not much change in the reading from the unprotected sources.
Surely we deserve a proper, safe storage box to protect ourselves.....
In the meantime I keep the little treasures as far away as possible from the prep room.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Ri, This thread may help you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

WOW! We don't have any & I'm so glad! I love my teachers - they are so safety conscious!!! :wub:

All that OH&S effort to store & handle... for such a small use...! :yuck:

Be careful everyone!
lesnsw

Post by lesnsw »

Since the last posting has a radioactive storage box become available?
Les
Lesley
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I decided NOT to have any radioactive sources in our school.

And on this one, what I say, goes!

As I remember may years ago, I took a geiger counter to the outside of the lead box that a schools radioactive sources were stored in.
The geiger counter was registering some serious clicks. compared to the natural background... not just with the Alpha particles either! as was the the shelf where it was stored.

And those were the standard storage... each sorce in an individual lead foiled container, and then all in a lead lined storage case.

As far as I am concerned, There are enough radiation sources in our world , natural, leakage etc without bringing more of them into my work area! :crazy: 8O

Not for this little ducky :!:
Rita

Post by Rita »

If the sources are stored correctly in the lead.... where do you store the lead storage case? Does it need to be kept in a special area?

Thanks
Rita
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We store ours in a locked metal box in a locked cupboard in the physics lab (which is locked when not in use)