Phenolphthalein Agar

and any other non-chem subjects.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Phenolphthalein Agar

Post by sunray18 »

and we get to wash up all those goey messes that students make and teachers put out of sight so they go right 'off' before we find them!
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I keep no living things in my labs....
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

Narelle01 wrote:paint it with Na Oh - that should turn it pink quick!
Well, unless the indicator is fading from being in a pH too far above 9. "Add more" won't cure "too much"!

I always prepare by adding NaOH slowly in small portions, until just passed the color change; rather like a crude titration. The excess in the fridge hasn't faded in the months since the last time.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

are you a chemist too Graham? ;)
I'm a bucket chemist taught by a master bucket chemist, Noona :p

I'm more a biologist - i love 'my guys' love my LIVING Euglena!
lada

Post by lada »

I have adopted a recipe from this website a long time ago and it is fool proof.
20g of agar, boil in 1L of water. Cool to about 50oC, add 4g NaOH and enough phenolphthalein powder to colout the solution. I use a tip of spatula.Always works,
Happy days
Lada
carolmay

Post by carolmay »

You all have some wonderful ideas of making Phenolphthalein Agar, will have to give it a try, I use a large tray at 3cm depth, but the kids have to do the rest.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Hi all,

wish me luck, I'm about to make my 1st batch... thanks for all the hints & tips, I'm sure it will be fine :D
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I put mine in ice cube trays, then the kids cut up. :crazy:
melsid

Post by melsid »

So far, so good - it went a beautiful colour! :clap3:

Now to wait and see if it sets...
melsid

Post by melsid »

Bugger!! It didn't set. Will it set if I heat & add more agar? Or should I cut my losses & start from scratch??

Mel
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

Ive never had problems with this prac, is your agar old? and do you use a thermometer to check the temp when it boils? I wait til mine gets to around 96 degrees, keeping a lid over it whilst stirring helps otherwise it takes forever to really get hot. Also make sure it is cool enough before adding NaOH I'm always itching to add mine but again use the thermometer so I dont jump the gun. Just a few thoughts. Cheers MariaC
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Mel, make sure you added enough agar (10g/500ml) and then bring it to the boil. I have found if I dont boil the agar it wont set properly either. I am a little impatient like Maria :giggle: , but I have not had a problem setting Phenolphthalein agar, just the plates, but you have to stir it while it is boiling and watch it doesnt boil over.
:wink2: Lisa :thumbup:
lada

Post by lada »

I make mine 3%, so 3g in 100mL or 15g in 500mL, just to be on the safe side. It sets nice and firm, easy to cut.
Also, I would start from scratch.
Lada
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I use a microwave for making agar - for plates, for blocks , for electrophoresis gel.
Just make sure you have it in a narrow neck container and place that container in a larger bowl in case it boils over
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

I have reboiled phenolphthalein agar that hasn't set and it has then set really well. You need to boil it though and I'm not sure if there are any risks with doing that once it has the NaOH and phenolphthalein in it. I did it in the microwave. It goes a bit darker like a (mighty!) maroon sort of colour. But that works well for the prac.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
melsid

Post by melsid »

I reheated it, and already it seems to be setting! Big improvement on yesterday's effort. I don't think I heated it enough before adding the agar, but at least that is 1 mistake I won't be making again! I'm too impatient for my own good sometimes...

Thanks everyone for your input, very much appreciated.
bella

Post by bella »

have just made ours and made the 1cm ones in the tray? that glue sticks come in. Has nice small round holes. The 2cm ones were made in an ice cube tray and the 3cm ones in a lunch box. I have made models of the sizes with plastic centicubes and use these to check size and depth. Not very scientific but it works well and the students can cut to size easier. cheers bella
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

I use dropper bottle trays which have removable partitians to get approximately 3 cm sided blocks that the students can easily cut down to size.

Also, I store the agar blocks in sealed tupaware containers to prevent drying out before the prac. They can be stored that way for considerable time.
nickykinz wrote:I have reboiled phenolphthalein agar that hasn't set and it has then set really well. You need to boil it though and I'm not sure if there are any risks with doing that once it has the NaOH and phenolphthalein in it. I did it in the microwave. It goes a bit darker like a (mighty!) maroon sort of colour. But that works well for the prac.
There's no safety risk beyond spills and splashes of a hot corrosive solution. Do handle carefully.

However, as you've noticed, there is some decomposition of the agar agar when boiled while basic. The resulting maroon agar agar can still be used.

The phth agar can even be recycled this way several times, but eventually the colour change will become less and less noticable.

Besides which, the teachers do prefer the nice rose pink of the first iteration.
melsid

Post by melsid »

Yay!! :clap3: It has set already, next time I won't be so impatient & I will wait for it to boil before adding the agar... thanks again for all your help everyone!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I use boiling water out of the kettle. I put a bit of cold water in with the agar and make a solutio, add boiling and bring it back to the boil all on a magnetic stirrer/hotplate. Works everytime.