Elodea alternative

and any other non-chem subjects.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS
State/Location: NSW

Elodea alternative

Post by melsid »

Hi, does anyone have an alternative to the elodea prac? A new teacher from interstate has ordered it for the first time since I've been here and we can't get any in NSW.
Thanks all!

Mel
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Elodea alternative

Post by Merilyn1 »

Is this the one to test for CO2? A couple of years ago I used a plant out of my pond at home - native milfoil that worked fine. so maybe any aquatic plant?
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I didn't know it was only in Vic you could get it! (Southern biological) We have a pond on site where we cultivate a few *cough* maybe not quite legal biosecurity wise *cough* . I inherited it but it is super handy.
melsid

Post by melsid »

I may have to scour the local ponds and see if I can find any. Of course I'm helping the environment by removing it! And if some just "happens" to keep growing in a tank here, well wouldn't that be nice...
There are other plants we can use I know, but elodea shows the process really well!
Krysia Lee
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

In Sydney you get a very similar form , I think its called Hydrilla, the aquarium called it native elodea that works really well if you. Obviously you get it from the aquarium, if you have on close by.
melsid

Post by melsid »

Thanks Krysia Lee, I'll ring around and see if any local aquariums have any. M
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Try your aquariums some of them have a *cough* also ... Just sayin ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

After some help .
Last year we got some aquatic plants from Pet Barn to use instead of Elodea , but it was quite expensive .
as we had some left , I've tried to propagate it in an Aquarium . I am failing miserably . The weed is yellow and sickly .
I have no real idea what I am doing .

I have an airstone in there and some crusher dust in the bottom to try and anchor the weed and its full of tap water .I wondered about the water and found a Trace Metal Solution on page 208 of "the Laboratory".
It seems like a lot of chemicals especially zinc Sulphate per litre for so called "trace metals" .
Is this solution meant to be added to the aquarium or is it meant to be scaled up to completely fil it ?

Confused .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

How much light does the aquarium get? It could be nutrient but my first thought is light. If it is not near a window, you could buy use an artificial light. As for nutrient, put some fish in - except there you will run into Animals in Schools requirements. Not particularly difficult for fish but some schools just have a blanket ban on any vertebrates.
You don't know anyone with an outdoor pond who could take the plants?

Don't try making anything up yourself, sounds way too hard and could go wrong. I still have my outdoor pond which runs quite well on its own. It is all about balance.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Merilyn
Yes it is on a bench right next to a northwest facing window so it gets a lot of afternoon sun .

Regarding an outdoor pond , nothing comes to mind straight away , but i will give it some thought .Might ask some folk around here . That would make more sense long term .
I don't want the hassle of fish .LOL , I can barely keep a plant alive
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Other thing to is to check the pH of the water.
The fish are probably easier, although together with plants they make a good system.
superbug

Post by superbug »

yep we also use Hydrilla