Voltameters

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
MHourigan
State/Location: NSW

Voltameters

Post by MHourigan »

Hi everyone new to this posting stuff so bare with me!
I am after a Hoffman Voltameter just the glass as mine are broken would like to purchase if anyone has spares [-o< They seem hard to get and very pricey mine would be probably original school stores supplies so nearly 50 years old!! Would appreciate some feedback Thanks Maureen
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: Voltameters

Post by J »

Hi Maureen

I bought one last year from Scientrific. Can't remember how much but couldn't have been too much or we couldn't have afforded it.

It works really well
Julie
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We bought a new one last year - it was nearly $200. Most School Science Equipment dealers would sell them.
They go really fast in the class situation when you use 2M Sulfuric acid, instead of weaker acid :wink2:
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi Maureen,
Serrata have them. $165 for the whole thing or $99 for the glass and $88 for the electrodes ($44 each!)

regards
Ian :-)
coxy

Post by coxy »

Mushroom, you must have cornered the market on clever teachers - the last two times my voltameter was used, (even though I placed bottle of 2M Sulfuric on the trolley) the teachers requested Hydrochloric acid, and then told me to check the gear because it wasnt' working properly!
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

coxy wrote:Mushroom, you must have cornered the market on clever teachers - the last two times my voltameter was used, (even though I placed bottle of 2M Sulfuric on the trolley) the teachers requested Hydrochloric acid, and then told me to check the gear because it wasnt' working properly!
Our chem teacher used HCl last year. It made a pretty green gas, and smelt like a swimming pool. We EVACUATED the classroom!!

She will NEVER do that one again!

Ian :D
MHourigan

Post by MHourigan »

Thanks for replying everyone I think I will go with Serrata the price is looking good!! Gotta tell you, you are all keeping me amused with your comments so pleased I am now interactive with 'Chemtalk' need a good laugh! :-)
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Just a thought - we purchased a couple of Student Mini Voltameters from Haines for $59 each a year ago and they also work well. They are made of plastic and are especially useful for demos with junior classes or if you have a teacher you don't quite trust with the quite expensive glass Hoffman's variety (dare I say that). We have had a couple destroyed in the past and these mini ones have been a great addition.