Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

Post by Labbie »

Afternoon folks,

I need about three companies that deal in Chemcial waste. I have a pile of stuff here. The last company we used, was plastech in Crows Nest, can not find them this time around. Our last pick up was in 2005. Do hope some one can help me.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lada

Re: Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

Post by lada »

Hi Sue, we use Chemsal.
Contact Ian Parkes
Ph 98334399
Fx 98334588
Give him a call.
lada :coffee:
coxy

Post by coxy »

I contacted our local Council, spoke to the "garbage" man and was told I could take all our waste (no more than a box for 5 reams of paper size) to the local tip. I just tell the guy at the tip I am from a local high school and that JOE BLOGGS said it was OK, and I only take it all about once every 6 months. Try that. Or contact your local Dist. Office and ask them to track down a collection company.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

you should try and arrange with other schools in your area a combined pickup with one of the chemical disposal companies as it may work out cheaper if you have a few schools onboard sharing the costs involved
gurney

Post by gurney »

We use Dr Peter Djura at Pacific Meditech.
Phone (02)96307462 Fax (02)96300106 Mob. 0413 073 130 email. pacmed@bigpond.com.au
Denise
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We use Haztech.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Haztech, is that in NSW or VIC??? Do you have the phone number if it is in NSW.

Thank you
Regards Labbie

Sharon Ford

Post by Sharon Ford »

Re Chemical Waste collection
Phone number for Haztech NSW - Karlo Paulsen 49877022 - Heatherbrae. Our schools on the mid north coast attempting to combine the trip to save costs. It's not cheap. Marilyn at Great Lakes has done a fabulous job trying to seek out advice.
Can anyone tell me how much mercury a school is allowed to have?
Currently trying to sort out chemicals for collection.
Thanks
Sharon at Port High.
coxy

Post by coxy »

Morning all,
Having just seen the chemicals at Sharon's school, I reckon she is going to need a B-Double all for herself to get rid of the chemicals there. Should we mention some of them, Sharon? Perhaps just the dates - 1974, 1981, 1986, etc and the teachers say you are NOT to get rid of it? Definitely a job for WorkCover, or the Health Dept.
Sue
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Thanks Coxy for that post! While not particularly great for Sharon, I feel rather comforted that my stock of
"How do I get rid of that?" stuff doesn't seem to date back quite so far. Most of it was here when I had my last stint as labby four years ago but doesn't seem to go back too much further than that. Phew!

Cheers,
Patti
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Sharon,

Do a search for Chemical Disposal and Disposal of Chemicals on this site...

One of our Deputies and I took 30 boxes to the tip last year when they held their annual Chemical Cleanup day. Ring your local council and ss if they do a similar thing. The school was classified as a business, and so had to pay, but the amount was minimal, and it came out of the OHS budget, not Science.

I have chemicals here from the 50's still. Got rid of a lot last year, but to save money kept back anything I thought I could dispose of via the sewer. Silly me - would take a concerted effort to dilute and dispose every day, and I'd still be doing it for years!! Had planned to send another lot this year, but they held the day during the holidays. Council will not let me know a date beforehand, and if I miss the ads on TV it's difficult to organise it at the last minute.
But well worth it - a few years back I rang some of the disposal companies for quotes, and it was way out of our school's reach for the amount we had.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Sharon Ford

Post by Sharon Ford »

Hi All
Thanks Sue for visiting me and your help. I feel help is on it's way. Spoke to Marilyn at Great Lakes and Phil Elsing is looking into our chemical pick up - there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks to everyone for your support. I am currently undertaking boxing the chemicals, weighing and keeping a record of their date/labels. Many are in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I don't feel bullied - well not yet anyway. I think once my HT & Principal have a better understanding all will be well. As we know, many folk hate throwing things out - this probably is why I have this problem now. Many years also of casual lab attendants, previous staff who did not want to waste money - who knows. I have a great SAM whi is really supportive and so are all you lab attendants. I am definately learning so much everyday and very grateful for any help I can get. This is my first year and wow - it's been a tough one. The last thing I want is for my health to suffer and this chemical clean out is well and truly needed not just for me but for students and staff. Wish me luck! Sharon
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Best of luck Sharon - our thoughts are with you. You have the right attitude. I agree with all your reasoning - same here with people who are natural hoarders, lack of funding, years of casual assistants...
It seems like the timing's right, now, for cleaning out - it's happening at lots of schools, so it's a good argument to join the bandwagon.

Keep your spirits up, and know there is light streaming in through the tunnel!

Happy sorting :D

ps I also boxed all mine last year, and worked out the costs for the Principal.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi Sharon,
My Head Teacher told me to take advantage of being the new girl and to throw junk out and then if we needed it to say "Oops, sorry didn't know." She is loving how much rubbish has disappeared. Got another pile to go today! And as yet nothing I have thrown out has been missed. Fingers crossed!

Patti :-)
The Search Engine
Sharon Ford

Post by Sharon Ford »

Hi all
Still sorting out these chemicals and compiling a list for my Principal, HT and whoever picks up the chemicals. Would like to thank you all for your support and just clarify again that I am feeling supported by the HT, Principal and SAM and always have. I have been assured that these chemicals will be gone, hopefully by the end of the year. They are waiting for me to complete my list. It's a massive job and I am nearly there. I will certainly feel a great deal better when I see that truck drive off loaded with this stock. I am trying to find out amounts of chemicals that are safe amounts to be stored at school. Can anyone direct me? Also, is the CSIS manual being updated or has it already been updated? I am desperately trying to get this sorted out correctly. Thanks again for your support and thoughts.
Sharon
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The CSIS is NOT being updated as far as I know. Their was an addtion back in 24 June 2002 for some extra chemicals that were left out altogether. You can still down load this from Chemwatch site. or perhaps from CSIS site its shelf. The CSIS is still law, in NSW.
Regards Labbie

coxy

Post by coxy »

Here we are, another year, and the Department has said probably by the end of this term, the pickup will take place. Meanwhile they have told us that it is now up to the Regional Director, Peter Haigh at Coffs Harbour, to organise the collection. I have emailed him already, (no reply after 5 days!) and will email him again this morning with details of the collection companies noted from this site - so I guess I am helping him do his job! How hard can it be? Why doesn't the Dept ask US for advice. Surely most of what we have done, and are still doing re: sorting, packing, doing research into both companies, costings, etc demands an Executive wage! I wonder if Mr Haigh will be pleased that I have offered some assistance by giving him company names/contact details to follow through??
Things can only get better.
coxy

Post by coxy »

I was "politely" rapped over the knuckles too,(as was another Labbie, earlier) for having the audacity to email Mr Haigh. But it may be that the collection goes ahead this term but I won't be holding my breath.
coxy

Post by coxy »

Well, looks like the collection IS happening. Our quote is $166 (plus $395 transport costs, PLUS 12.7% fuel levy, PLUS $5 per pallet, PLUS environmental levy) for less than 12 bottles (doesn't quite fill two small cardboard boxes in which reams of paper are delivered). Pickup here is on 20th March! Many Principals are having palpitations over the costs - naturally some schools here on the coast have quotes well over the $2500 (plus all the above charges).
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Not that I would ever do it, but it almost makes you want to 'accidentally' misplace the chemicals! "Now, where did those bottles of waste go... Oh dear! They must have gone out with the regular garbage!" You'd think the government (especially for DET schools) would have a system worked out! Those prices are insane!