Flame test kits

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Flame test kits

Post by rae »

Could you attach a photo of the setup??
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Wow Ocker, sounds great. Gonna try it, during exam week.
Cheers, K 8-)
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

i am more of a picture person.
Monkey see, monkey do!!
Monkey read instructions, i don't think so
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

will bring camera in tomorrow download tomorrow night, email to work and will try to find time to attach on monday
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks ocker! I too am having trouble picturing it, although I think from your last description I have a better idea, but I still wouldn't be confident trying to construct it myself!.

Estelle - I'm with you on that! I like your saying :)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Ockerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr????

I know as a lab tech you aren't the least bit busy! :rolleyes:

But just a friendly reminder & I'm totally hanging on your photos when they come.... hoping you haven't forgotten!

Sorry about the push... :oops: We have flame tests coming up week 1 next term. Would love to astound all (including the Mr Miscreant - my OH&S nightmare teacher) with my vast & brain popping knowledge!!! Plus the idea of Mr Miscreant and his little lemmings (Adam, is there a lemming smilie??) let loose on naked flames and chemicals is sooooooooo scary 8O

One of the lemmings is my daughter ( :wub: ) & I'm sure she has enough sense! but there are lot of other lemmings with lack of brain power!

Might make for good watching though :popcorn: Mr Miscreant and the Little Lemmings and the Laboratory Fire! Did I tell you all that a student left scorch marks on our brand new benches & a clay triangle burn mark on the carpet in the middle desk area?! Apparently his book caught on fire..... :cry2: All while Mr Miscreant sat up the front busy on his computer!

Oh the joy!!!!!! Lucky holidays are a-coming in Victoria! :party: Although not sure it's so good... I'm moving house & doing a uni residential school!
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

:w00t: wow Kel you know what teacher are planning week one next term!
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Well .... having to admit that I am pre-empting....!!! Mr Miscreant hasn't said anything but another teacher has hinted... And it was done this time last year...
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Here goes, I'm a dill!
Last Fri Photo'ed equip then over weekend downloaded photos and emailed them to myself at work, mon morning tried to post photos, but could not see where, then got tied up in food testing.
Supporting 9 classes doing food testing on 3 lines and they all seem to practice bucket chem can anyone lay out by the numbers how to post photos
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I find it easiest to save them to your desktop so they are easy to find, then click 'browse' in the box below where you type your post, select the photos you want, click on 'add the file' and then 'submit'. Hope this helps :) I, too, am looking forward to seeing your flame test creations!
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Try No 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

I tried to put 3 pictures on but only took the last as it deleted previous.
The window that you use to spray the micro sprayers into is not very obvious but you only need the smallest spray to get results, too heavy handed and you will put out flame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thanks Ocker! :D
Is the hole to spray into, at the front about level with the gas hose inlet?
Whats the advantage of sitting the bunsen on top of the cut-off bottle - just to raise it to make it easier to spray the solution in? Or to make the neck of the bunsen level with the neck of the bottle?
And do you leave the bunsen set to safety flame? I imagine you cant adjust the flame once the bunsen is lit?
:unsure:
Cheers
Tina
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

The window hole is about level with the air inlet
Rising the whole thing allows holding the spray bottle upright
Usually set air hole at about half open, and to light hold hand over window which gives the same effect as closing vent. A little experimenting will find the right spot for you :crazy:
Does that make sense?
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

Three cheers for you OCKER!

I'm soooooooo excited to go try this out tomorrow!

Ocker, thank you so much for the idea! I think it will work like a charm!

Sending some good karma........ there it goes........... can you feel it yet???? There's lots - look out! 8O

From Happy as a pig in mud Kel! :D
dime

Post by dime »

Just one further question Ocker: what strength salt solutions do you use? 0.1M? And you use the micro sprayers, not the cheap but adjustable squirter bottles from the supermarker?
Thanks for the photos, they fabulous! :clap3:
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Thanks for the photo.
Actually, I think a couple of our students got suspended for having a set up like that.
They weren't using it for flame tests though!!
Estelle
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

G'Day Dime!
I have a tame teacher who uses Rexona underarm spray packs also his wife use extatic spray for putting on her stockings ( at least he tells me it's Wife) and he brings in all empty sprayers I tend to use 1M but they use very little.
When finished I spray hot water through sprayers then pump till nothing comes out beforing storing otherwise salts dry in nozzle and some are corrosive to springs and bits in pump.
Estell Bong On!
dime

Post by dime »

Thanks Ocker :D
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

hi all,
I'm expanding my flame test solutions and want to know if I can use lithium carbonate instead of lithium chloride and strontium carbonate instead of strontium chloride. Just that I have the two carbonates already and would prefer to use them, rather than order more.