Merick Ringers Solution

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Merick Ringers Solution

Post by Narelle01 »

Found tablets these in stocktake...same as before, anyone know what they are?

THANKS!
Whspa

Re: Merick Ringers Solution

Post by Whspa »

I googled and found this

"Ringer solution - an aqueous solution containing the chlorides of sodium and potassium and calcium that is isotonic to animal tissues (ie has the same osmotic pressure as blood); used to correct dehydration and (in physiological experiments) as a medium for in vitro preparations."

A solution resembling blood serum in its salt constituents, containing sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and calcium chloride in water, used topically for burns and wounds.

A salt solution usually used in combination with naturally occurring body substances or with more complex chemically defined nutritive solutions for culturing animal cells.

I have some tablets too, but have never been asked for it. Must be something else we just don't do anymore.

Carol
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Thanks!
I think we could all start a store room for "things we don't use anymore, but on the off chance someone wants to do it one day".
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Does anyone have these still? I just found some and they have an expiry of 1992 and the bottle isn't even open! :cheesy:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I still have some. Used a couple of years ago. Made a sterilised solution up 10mls in small mccartney bottles. Microbiology - place a a smaill piece of crystlised ginger (coles) in - shake then 1 ml transfered to agar plate then luke warm nutrient agar, swirl. The growth is spectaclur like snow flakes, can't remember what the growth was yeast? Dates work really well as does any dried fruits but not as pretty :w00t: as ginger
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Oh that ginger experiment sounds fun. Do you think it would work with another solution?
macca

Post by macca »

Kathryn wrote: 16 May 2022, 12:14 Oh that ginger experiment sounds fun. Do you think it would work with another solution?
I can't see why it wouldn't work with sterilised water you're basically just washing the ginger and plating the wash solution. Worth a try.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I don't have any crysatalised ginger but have other dried fruit. Think I'll give it a go as I have spare agar plates atm.
macca

Post by macca »

Kathryn wrote: 16 May 2022, 13:28 I don't have any crysatalised ginger but have other dried fruit. Think I'll give it a go as I have spare agar plates atm.
Iknow it does work better if the wash is worked through the warm agar. Place 1ml of wash then warm agar and swirl till mixed and plate is covered. But give it a go let us know how it goes.
:thumbup: