Annual Chemical Stock Take

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Ilona
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Glenmore Park High
Suburb: Glenmore Park
State/Location: NSW

Re: Annual Chemical Stock Take

Post by Ilona »

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hope to see you at St Marys.

Ilona
Ilona -Glemore Park High
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Does anyone know the best way to dispose of 20L plus of photographic developer chemicals that I came across during stocktake. The art teacher usually transports is in her car to the local council tip but is getting sick of doing it, not to mention that she shouldn't be doing it.
Someone from OH&S told her it could just be diluted well and disposed of down the sink. How do other schools deal with these chemicals?
Estelle
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Check with a local photo place maybe? Ask what they do and maybe you could somehow get it to them?
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Estelle, can you find out what chemical it is - maybe google it?

A few years ago at my other school we disposed of several 20L containers via the council clean-up. From memory I think it was acetic acid, so an option would be to dilute/pH adjust down the sink.

At the very least, your art teacher could request that the OHS committee organise disposal - have the GA use a school vehicle to take it to the tip for her.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
suesch
State/Location: SA

Post by suesch »

I do chemical stocktake once a year at the end of term 2 leave it attached to the chem cabinets then have a quick look before placing the bulk order in august, but will prob do an equipment list at the end of the year now its quiet just my own copy. :coffee:
coxy

Post by coxy »

Hi Rae,
I refer to your question way back in May 2011 - sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Smaller containers of chemicals I can take to the local tip, and just put them in the correct chemical section (they have areas marked for Oxidising, Toxic, etc). So I can do that, or usually I see if I can dilute and sink it; otherwise I just leave the bottles to be disposed of in a box, until I hear of a pickup happening in the area. We don't have much waste.
coxy

Post by coxy »

Sorry, was disturbed and had to disconnect... I usually have a stocklist printed and left in my Chem Store, one in my desk drawer, and another on a shelf in my "everyday" chemical cupboard. Whenever I use the last of a particular chemical I mark it off the list so when I get to a computer I immediately update it with one less bottle. Usually, when I get time, I just grab the nearest list and go through the nearest cupboard - pick up the bottle of say, 500g, if it is more than half full, I write down that I have 250g, if it is less, then I write there is 50 or 100g., etc. In my chem store room, however, each bottle is a full one, so as soon as I take one full bottle of say, CuSO4, I know I need to replace it by end of year or term (depending on how often it is used). I have sample stocklist which you are welcome to look at - just email me at sue.cox2@det.nsw.edu.au and I can email it to you.
mikah

Post by mikah »

Hi coxy, would you mind if I had a look at your list?
we don't have any such thing and I have been instructed to start one :-(
coxy

Post by coxy »

Here it is - hope the attachment works. Hope the list works for you - you can add or delete whatever you need - obviously.

Best way to contact me is by email, because I am lucky to get onto this site once a term!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

Wow thanks coxy. Just what i needed to update my list
:clap3: \:D/ :thumbup: :yahoo:
Rell
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

What are sodium sticks please?
Rosalie (another one)
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

the question is for Coxy. I found the item in your beautiful stock list. The colours are a great idea
Rosalie (another one) :D
mikah

Post by mikah »

Thank you for your prompt response and letting us access what is a lot of work.....still daunting though, going to be a busy week :w00t:
coxy

Post by coxy »

Hi Rosalie,
The sodium sticks are just the way the sodium was here when I arrived: kind of long thick stilvery sticks under paraffin in a large, long tin with sealable lid. I always just called them sodium sticks because to me, sodium is salt that you put on your chips!!

Glad people are finding the list useful; I am a list person, so I have similar lists for my equipment stock, stationery, textbooks, glassware, etc.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I have just dug this thread out, as over the 'water cooler' this morning the principal said to me that she has to talk to me about the chemical register.
I do it at the end of term1 every year, and re-reading this has resassured me that I have done it well. My set out even looks similar to "Coxy"'s so i am on the right track...
LabMad
Suburb: South West Sydney

Post by LabMad »

Here is part of one that Ive done, its mostly to let the teacher know where the chemicals are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lab Madness
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have been asked to do a chemical stocktake for the entire school? Or do you just record science?
I've been trying to find some information on this but can't find anything other than forums but I have read somewhere that you don't need to record the chemical if it is being used for its manufactured purpose? Eg, in Visual Arts - aerosol paint cans used for art, so I shouldn't need to record this (or any paint)
However I have been.
Can anyone shed some light onto this and if you have any documentation on what is required to be included in the register, please let me know.

Thanks, and Happy Friday!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Are you a private or DoE school. DoE schools, the labbie is asked to, Only do the paper work for other depts, The head teacher of each dept, make a record of there chemcials, and we only record it on spread sheet or chemwatch, we do not need to go and have a look, its up to the head teacher only. Gosh I hope this makes sense to you Emma.Hunt?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

DoE school.
Yes that makes sense, thank you.
I'm only here 2 days a week to help the full time labbie. And I've been told everyone is too busy to get it done and I'm here to go collect the details.
Before I was here I the labbie told me she would email them and ask for their stocktake but they'd be so lazy and not get back to her.
Oh well...
Thanks again for your reply
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Have a word with the Principal, he is aduit once a year, and most years they require the chemical stock for the whole school. He can have a word with the Heads of Dept, a word from him/her goes a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way. We would print out last years stock take for each dept, and give it too the Principal, and he would give it out at there weekly meeting. Work very well indeed.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: