face mask with organics?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

face mask with organics?

Post by Kathryn »

Does anyone use a face mask or respirator when dealing with organics? I seem to be especially sensitive to them and even with decanting them in the fume cupboard and using gloves, I develop a headache very quickly and yesterday felt quite nauseous. I would like better protection before I use them again. Any suggestions as to best options?
Kathryn
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: face mask with organics?

Post by Merilyn1 »

I feel your pain, Kathryn. I'm really sensitive to these types of odours. First thing that springs to mind is to check your fume cupboard is working properly. Is it regularly serviced? There are problems with the double sided fume cupboards not working properly, especially the older design which did not allow the opposite panel to be closed properly. Could this be a problem for you? I did have a problem in a previous job with an older fume cupboard until we had it modified.
If you only have a single sided fume cupboard, and it is working correctly, I would see no problem with using extra PPE. I'm not sure what type of respirator cartridge would be apprpriate. Maybe a A_AUS P2? You would need to research.
But definitely check the fume cupboard, you shouldn't be having a problem if it is working correctly.
foxa7528
Job Title: Marketing

Re: face mask with organics?

Post by foxa7528 »

Yeah... it better to have a protective wear for your self-safety. Even these are organic things, it still might have any chemicals that are not good to your body which you might inhale accidentally. Prevention still best for your own protection.