Risk Assessment for Lab techs

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Risk Assessment for Lab techs

Post by Kathryn »

Good morning
I noticed a conversation on the ASETNSW Digest about doing RA's for preparing experiments eg diluting acids etc. I have not thought about doing this before. Apart from dilution of acids and bases what else do you make RA's for (separate from the teacher RA's for experiments)?
Kathryn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Risk Assessment for Lab techs

Post by Labbie »

I have merged these posts
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sorry - I would have thought this was quite a different question to doing risk assessments for classes. Anyway, I'll continue on...
Kathryn - I think I replied on ASET, but for the benefit of others - I do RAs for all chemical handling. Also will do RAs for things like making agar, bending/cutting glass tubing - anything where there is a risk. I actually can't think of anymore at the moment, maybe I've actually forgotten what my job is! I use Riskassess for doing all of them. Even if they don't list the equipment or materials, you can add it in at the bottom and detail the hazards. I complete my own document on Riskassess. Then when putting together the prac, I am only detailing my hazards and controls for putting the prac together, not all the background work such as chemical handling that was done prior.
By using Riskassess it keeps all the RAs together in one spot.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Riskassess for me too, when I'm training someone, work placement etc, I do a RA for the labbie. I think we are supposed to in Victoria, but I find Riskassess is good enough, I add notes if the teacher has to prepare anything.